Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jacks- what water temp in SE Qld is either too hot or too co

Still learning about these, and happy about that.

Dipped my toe into the water in the reports section, but an curious to share views on water temp and where jacks are in a system.

I reckon if it gets too cold in the estuaries, and they are big enough, they might move offshore.

Likewise, if it gets so hot the dissolved oxygen level goes down, they don't feed.

But that doesn't explain their comings and goings, ok, mostly goings in the systems I fish - it'd be great to hear your views on when they move out of estuaries and why, and also when they move within estuaries

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

The hotter the better I have found. With the warm Autumn we're still having ol' Mangrove Jacks are still biting their heads off.

Try somewhere where there is structure. One of the many man made lakes on the Goldy is perfect.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the problems with my current possie are too much structure, little current flow and relatively shallow....... or it could just be that I'm a mug!

Thanks Heath, will keep on trying

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

perfect location is somewhere there is an inlet or outlet. A lot of the lakes will have a feed pipe of some sort. Perfect location to target jacks as they lay in wait to ambush prey.
    If you can find somewhere where there is a bit of a ledge or hole, you're in with even more of a chance.

Some info HERE
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Heath..... I can remember a few spots that fit your description on the nth side. thanks too for the info in the link. The pictured possie is one I would have walked straight past out of ignorance...........thanks again, will be alert to more options now