Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up In my element, Wading!

Here is a little something about what i love..........In my element, Wading!

There is something special about fishing the twilight, either dawn or dusk, they are my favourite times of the day to be out wetting a line. Dawn can be eerily quiet and perfectly still, Dusk displays the most eye catching fire hues of red, pink and purple.

There is a form of fishing that takes me away from the hustle and bustle of my city surrounds. It’s wading in search of bream and flathead! Even though I may be surrounded by the ever-expanding suburbia, when I am in the water that reality is clouded far away in the back of my thoughts. Now I am in amidst the marine world of nature. Being half emersed in the wet stuff aids my senses to become attuned to the aqua environment and task of probing the 360 degrees of water that surrounds me.

An advantage of walking along the chosen underwater ground is that I can feel what is under me. The type of ground under my feet gives a clue about the structure of the flat. The more time I spend feeling the bottom of different areas while fishing, the better idea I get of the more productive ground to wade. Estuary beds can easily change quite drastically within a short distance. The ground can be soft beach sand in one area then around in the next bay it can be boot sinking mud, rock, shell grit, reef, etc. On top of that there may be gravel, weed, shells, wood, leaves and other debris providing structure and food.

The task of searching for the timid bream in waist high water can become a single focus affair for the mind that I alike to being in a meditative state. Time passes quickly with only the odd distraction of boats, birds and mullet jumping. I find myself squinting in the fading light and only then do I realise it is probably time to go home. At a glance at my watch I calculate that 2, 3 or 4 hours have gone by in a blink. Reality sets in with the sudden urges of needing to go to the toilet, hunger, thirst and possibly a sore back or casting wrist. My psychological escape from the big smoke leaves my mind relaxed and ready to take on another day.

Any time is a good time to be out fishing but keeping a note of the lunar cycle productive times will increase the amount of drag screams for my breaming1000 to 2500 reels.

The probing weapon of choice is a 6.6 to 7 foot fast tapered graphite rod. To get the light lures to where I want, the rods rating is ultra light. I use a 1 to 3 kg rated blank which is perfectly suited to the job. The line is also kept as light as possible for the benefits of casting distance, sensitivity and visibility. A good brand braid/GSP or fluorocarbon works perfectly; both these lines in my opinion are far superior to monofilament for this style of fishing.

The ammunition fired to prospect is usually a 35mm to 50mm lipped shad. These little tight wriggling bait imitations provide me with the most fun and enjoyment. I must admit that my preference goes to the baits that have a realistic finish which mainly are imported from Japan. Natural colours are my favourite and I tend to stay away from the fluoro Elton colours. For variety and sometimes-situational conditions I will loop on a softplastic minnow or worm if I feel I will have more success.

In addition to my weapon and ammo I chuck a few extra essentials into a vest, backpack or bum bag. Leader, braid scissors, pliers, lip grip and a camera are tucked away. A hat and sunscreen are good lobster prevention along with a pair of polarized sunnies, which will also help to sight fish. Lastly some reef boots protect from cuts, stings and pesky blowfish nibbles.

Even though the black bream may not grow as large as a billfish, have teeth like a mackerel, pull like a GT, be as colourful as a coral trout or taste like a whiting, it resides in my local hood and holds a special place in this blokes ticker. I do not plan to stop catching, photographing and releasing these old blue lips anytime in the distant future.

Now that you know about my passion for a semi dip, have a go and get INTO the world of H2O rather then being above it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete,

Quick - get on that plane and go and catch some real bream - TASSIE STYLE hehe!!

Cheers mate and enjoy ya trip.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I Bet you can't WADE to come to Tassie

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

better take some waders down mate, if you catch up with beev he will take you to places where it'll take a week for the old JC's to thaw out

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

When you're as hairy as me, it takes a while for the cold to set in!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read Pete, must say I agree totally with what he says, it is also a very productive way to pick up fish.

Few other pointers try and wear neutral coloured clothing that fits into the background dark colours can spook Bream that may think it's a predator from above ie a Raptor swooping down to get them, also try and keep your body low to the water by leaning forwards when stalking them for basically the same reasons to conceal more of you body above the water.

Happy wading it's great fun

Hyper Tackle

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you all enjoyed the read......

Bummer we couldn't hook up (haha) Mr Beevor, but i will be back real soon probably around Xmas...

Good point there Mark, i usualy wear neutral colours or blue, i look good in blue (wink wink) and you know fishing is all about fashion...
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...