Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Tamar 4/6

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tamar 4/6

Hi all,
    Ducked out for a couple of hours this arvo to the local estuary.
    Upon arrival, the toadies were out in force as usual

so the SPs would be staying in the box. On with a little spoon and on the fisrst cast I managed a brief hookup to something small and silvery. A couple more casts and I was able to bring one to hand for ID: small tailor a fairly uncommon fish down this way normally but not today. The interesting thing about this one however was the quite prominent bite mark on its flank. Maybe some bigger things out there?

After a little more playing with the choppers, I moved down the channel towards my flattie spot. As I drifted along the dropoff I picked up a few small flatties before a rather unusual fight heralded something different.
    This time it was a nice snook which put up a great fight for a snook as I've found they normally don't have much to give but this one actually gave a reasonable account of itself.

After this, I managed a few more small flatties (they seemed to get smaller as time went on).

Before the lack of light forced a retreat.

Cheers
    col.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Couple of nice photos there, top job.
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love rackin up the species count Col....

You must have smacked an array of species on the Spoons yeah?

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Col. Saw birds working a few schools of what I presumed were Salmon on Sunday, maybe they were Tailor ??.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beevor View Post
    Gotta love rackin up the species count Col....

You must have smacked an array of species on the Spoons yeah?
    Yeah, I've got a few. A quick count gave me 51 fish species (42 SW, 9 FW) and 4 invertebrates (2 squid species, 1 occy and blue swimmer crabs) on my little spoons. Still lots to go though, I've never fished for Murray-Darling natives or in tropical australia (that should really tick the count up when I get up there) and there are a few local species down here that I haven't managed on spoons yet - even a couple of obvious ones like black bream (I've got them on SPs and caught several yellowfin from NSW on spoons though so its only a matter of time).

FJ: Apparently there have been quite a few salmon around - good ones too - so I guess it could go either way, you'll have to chase them next time to be sure.

cheers
    col.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

good read wrasseman, a fan of the spoon hey......
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...