Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FNQ Report #7 - 7th June 2007

G'day guys,

It has been a top month of fishing here in the Far North, and the good lapses of weather in between the miserable, drizzly days has seen anglers flock to their hunting grounds. Winter has just kicked in, however the never ending days of sunshine which we are acustomed to this time of the year have not even looked like appearing, but will no doubt show in the weeks ahead. After my weekend white water rafting on the Mulgrave River, I am not suprised to still see dozens upon dozens of City slickers heading up to the Tablelands to escape those insanly humid nights, triggered by the overcast afternoons. Saturday night at the Mulgrave was just crazy... not much sleep occured, as we swam in the River and tried to keep ourselves cool.

The main type of fishing that has been producing the best results of late has been the Bluewater, closely followed by the Estuaries. Anglers continue to bottom bash good hauls of Trout and Fingermark, whilst the trollers are still landing those Spaniards, which seem to overwhelm the local papers like the Fish and Boat on a regular basis. The Red's are again coming onto the scene in these colder months, and no doubt the big Trevally's will follow suite and will start hammering some big Halco Roosta type surface lures. Conditions this coming long weekend will be abit rougher then the past few weekends, but from there onwards throughout winter Id expect pretty flat water... nothing over around 18-20kn.

The Estuaries have been going off of late, and the Jacks and Barra have come out to play! Many 40cm+ model Jacks and 80cm+ Barra have been caught from Cooktown down to about Tully, and as I might have said in a previous report, the increase in humidity and tidal flow has brought on this bite. Trolling is still the most preffered option down in these Estuary systems, as anglers are looking for those Big Barra in those deep holes. However, when the Barra are on the chew, casting is the best option by far, as they school up baitfish like Yakka's and continue to maul them in the shallows. Trolling the shallows is not recommended, as you are not using any stealth what so ever. Anchoring up, or using your Electric motor to cruise around likely fish holding areas is the way to go whilst casting to these fish. The humble old Gold Bomber seems to be doing the damage... but don't be afraid to throw around the old Fizzer of topwater plastic in search of fish.

The Freshwater scene has been fairly quiet as expected, however after the monster schools of fish I saw in the Freshwater reaches of the Mulgrave on the weekend, Im expecting that to change. Some of the plumpest Jungle Perch I saw on the weekend were right at the headwaters of the Mulgrave, in shallow long pools which would have suited sub-surface Hardbody lures of topwater baits. Although I did take a Rod with me on the weekend, I could only fish at the campsite, which held close to no fish. Steep banks claded with 3m guinea grass and vines didn't help my cause... would have loved to have taken the combo downstream in the Canoe, however it wouldnt have lasted too long! The Impoundments have been untouched, however that will change as I will spend the whole weekend at Tinaroo with a few mates where we will no doubt get onto some monsters.These cooler months make it easier to pin point Barra, and I can not wait to get out there! Bankside fishing in the winter is productive, and I have been told that a few locals have caught a few fish Live'baiting from the bank whilst consuming the odd Rum or 2. Koomboolooomba has been untouched, and is still hovering at around 98/100% capacity. No doubt it will cop a hammering with the clear days to come. Faust continues to treat anglers well, however more rain is expected for that part of the world. Tinaroo sits at around 80 odd %, Faust about 40%.

Tight lines!

Theo.
    Last edited by TinarooTriumph; 06-06-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Because your mother told me to...
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck for the upcoming fishing trip Theo, let us know how you go. Great report too.

Cheers
    Matt C

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Top report theo ,lets hope the rain doesn't spoil your weekend.can't wait to see some photos of them tinaroo giants

cheers camo

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodluck Theo, don't forget the digi cam......
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Top report there TT.....

Good luck on your fishing mission!!

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

nice report. best of luck on the mishin.