Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cod Cup 2007

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cod Cup 2007

Hi all...

June long weekend was decided upon for the much anticipated Cod Cup, where Scamander River played host. Not to be confused with the capture of an actual Cod, this competition is a Bream Comp

The 2 duelling teams consisted of: Council Won't Pay (CWP) and 3Buckets No Fish (3BNF). These anglers took part; Moe, Yapper, Monson, Singnutz, Vaughano, Bennyhill, Beevor all of CWP and the 3BNF boys had a couple of late withdrawals, but dedicated anglers included; Turtle, BJ and Rocky. Tyson of CWP also attended, but opted to go surfing instead!

Cod Cup rules, prizes and organisation was decided upon by Moe - and his decision was final. $10 entry each angler, 70% goes to the winning team along with the Cod Cup Perpetual Trophy, and 30% to the angler with the biggest fish along with the prestigious Golden Reel Trophy Comp times were from the Winter hours of 8am - 2pm. Anglers were required to photograph their catch on a brag mat or ruler, and a pic of themselves with the fish, then the fish must be released. The winning team was decided upon total length. Now although there are many other rules to adhere to, one of the standouts is that if you caught a Cocky Salmon you were to stick it in your pants, if you caught a Mullet - that was to go in your partners pants

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

After a few beers Friday night Prefish on Saturday saw a lot of sledging take place, and not a real lot to show for it, apart from the 3BNF boys who claimed to have found their honey hole There were certainly some Bream landed, but quite a few small ones and I believe I landed one of the bigger specimens of 34cm.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

After prefish, we gave up on Bream and went to chase some Salmon, Tailor and Trevs with a few getting a bend in the rod, not seen earlier.

Saturday night saw us all hooking into a few more beers, and telling many yarns but most of us pulled stumps at about midnight (We started early! ).

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Up and at 'em - We were all pretty pumped at the ramp, and although the start didn't quite go to plan, the Roman Candles and Po Ha's went off with a bang and we were into em Most anglers caught a few very early, but undersize one's didn't count, so as I was fishing with Moe - It was up to him to get us on the board! He managed 2 legals and then they seemed to shut down before lunch time. Conditions were perfect

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

We wasted a bit of time looking around up top, taking pics and sharing a beer with fellow anglers But with 5 mintues of comp time to go, I finally snared my only legal of 25cm EXACTLY.... Phew!! I didn't want to score the prize of the only angler not to catch a legal during comp time.... Mind you, Monson quite enjoyed the My Little Pony Crazy Pops , and the Silver Rod:

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably cutting a LONG and FUNNY story short, but basically CWP only just scraped through winning overall length - and we had a few more anglers!! BJ scored the Golden Reel with a FAT fish of 35cm Most fish were caught on HB's for us, but I believe BJ scored most of his on plastics. There were Salmon down dacks, six packs, firecracks, plumbers cracks and no time to relax! Soon after the comp we tangled with some more fish and then hit the piss big time - well deserved mind you Thanks for the good times fellas - Can't wait until the next location!

Moe picked up my rod for a while and landed this Salmon on the Egrell....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish went hard for their size, considering we hoping for bigger fish

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Managed to pick up a few Bream, Trevally, and Salmon on the Zipbaits...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent some time on Friday flicking a few flies around, and managed to score 15 Bream on fly - But there were a few really small ones. They go pretty hard on fly though

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Last one..... sorry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast