Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Izzy's catch

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Izzy's catch

A couple of months ago I decided to take my partner Loren and my five-year-old daughter Izzy for a short drive North for a camping trip. The destination we decided upon was Jurien Bay. Located 266 km north of Perth, Jurien Bay is a typical seaside resort town. It is popular for recreational fishing, tourism and professional cray fishing. It is situated at the southern end of Jurien Bay, which stretches over 9 km from Island Point at the south to North Head. The waters of the bay are sheltered by a string of islands and reefs, which lie just off the coast.

I was excited because this trip was going to be an introduction for Izzy to my favourite outdoor activity. FISHING! Every angler needs a rod and Izzy ripped open her brand new pink Kokoda Lisa Simpson rod.

Izzy couldn’t keep her hands of her new flash rod. I tied on the three eyed mutant fish and Iz went on hooking gum leaves while dragging the lure around our campsite. Every time she hooked a leaf she shouted out, “Dad, Loren, I got a fish”.

We had dinner a stroll away from our campsite at the bbq’s, which had a big-grassed area. Izzy offcourse brought her rod along and kept playing her leaf fish game. A big open space gave us the opportunity to have a casting lesson. Loren took over the tongs and Iz and me moved a safe distance from any obstacles. Kids are fast learners. I showed Izzy twice how to cast and in no time the leaf fish game had 10 meter casts introduced into it.

That arvo we decided to let Izzy have a go at the wet stuff. We strolled through the caravan park and down to the jetty. We quickly rigged baited our rigs and let them drop beneath us. Iz let her bait sit for about a nanno second and was reeled up to the rod tip in a flash. With some instruction Iz summoned the patience to let it sit for a little longer then before and soon felt a tug on her line. Then she was off reeling in quick smart again. Up came a crab holding on tightly. “I caught a crab daddy, I caught a crab daddy”, she shouted with joy and an expression on her face that was priceless. I just felt so happy to see how over the moon she looked and felt. What a memorable moment. A couple of casts later Iz got her first fish up. She said, “Daddy are you proud of me”, with her puppy eyes. My heart turned to jelly, for I was now the proudest father on earth. “I am very, very proud of you Iz,” I said as I gave her a big cuddle.

I have read and heard how good it is to take a child fishing, now I can attest after taking my daughter that it is an unforgettable and truly great experience…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adidaspeteman; 10-07-2007 at 01:53 AM.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Top stuff mate hope there is many more days like that to come. I know what its like when i take my son fishing its a great time. Now i have a fishing partner for the rest of my life cheers.virty

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty memorable there Pete....

Hope you got a pic of her with the first of many fish!

I heard she's already upgrading to a Steez rod and reel combo

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Pete...
    Nothing I like more than reading about father/kid fishing experiences. They certainly bring joy to the heart. Glad to hear she is hooked on fishing now. She looks so pleased in the photo. Can't wait to read more posts.

Eric&Deb
    Last edited by The BeaR; 10-07-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Typos!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers peoples, she can't wait to go camping/fishing again.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read Pete, will have to get together for a fathers & kids fishing trip some time soon

Mark

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Its great stuff, aye pete I hope you have many happy shared fishing trips together.
    Danny.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mark, for sure mate. Maybe when the weather gets a little warmer hey?!

Hey Danny, nice to see you sign up, welcome to AA. Danny likes catchin big fish of the rocks people.....

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Pete, still a few years away for me but I can't wait.
    col.