Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Re Squid

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re Squid

Went down to the south mole this afternoon for a squid session caught 4 which were nice sizes the bad part was that when I got home and was cleaning them two of them were females with eggs which I was not too impressed about I know the squid population is not under threat at the moment but the amount of eggs that these two squid had in them would have produced a fair few squid for someone else to catch or to further the population with their breeding.Was wondering if there is anyway to tell have checked on the net for any information but came up with zip anyone know.Is there a particular time of the year when squid do breed?
    Andrew

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume you're talking about calamari squid, not arrows or some other species?
    If so, the species is either Sepioteuthis australis from about brisbane south and west to Carnarvon in WA or S. lessoniana if in the north thouggh there is some overlap with the northern species extending down to about sydney or a similar lattitude in the west. There are av few other potential capture species in the north too, especially Photololigo sp. but the calamaris can be ID'd by their fins extending down the full mantle length and these are the most common encountered recreationally jigging in most areas.
    Assuming its calamari, they can easily be externally sexed if sexually mature. By looking through the body, in females, two large cigar shaped white masses can be identified within the mantle and extending about a third of its length. Additionally, if mated, females will have one or more little sticks stuck into their head or near their mouth, though some smaller males can also have these. Generally also very large calamari will be males with the females smaller.
    As far as spawning seasons go, they vary with lattitude but generally there are two main spawning aggregations one in winter and one in summer (these animals only live 6-8months) Here in Tassie these peak at November/December and May/June however sexually mature animals can be found for most of the year in most areas and whenever the squid fishing is really good its likely you've stumbled onto a spawning aggregation.
    I wouldn't be to concerned about taking a few for bait or the table however as most australian squid fisheries are pretty healthy at present. Just don't take excessive bags and we should all be able to catch them in the future.
    I hope this helps, if you want more details just give me a yell I may be able to help.
    Cheers
    Col.
    Last edited by wrasseman; 12-07-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few calamari picks to help. The first is a ventral view of a female and the white nidamental glands can be faintly seen. second shot is a dorsal view of a male and the testes can be made out at the tip of the mantle. As for the last... I just like the pic.
    Col.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wrasseman; 12-07-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate