Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exmouth trip

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Another few days later we finally caught a break in the weather and we decided to try our luck at one of the many access tracks that litter the Ningaloo side of the cape. Straight away we were onto queenfish, trevally and dart, all of which was great fun on our light rods that we were using. Once again we only kept a nice trevally for dinner with the rest having their picture taken then released. Unfortunately, when my dad said he knew how to use my camera, what he really meant was that he didn’t have a clue, with only the one picture actually being taken from that morning, needless to say that i was a little bit dark on him for that one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

The afternoon left us with the perfect opportunity to take the kayak for a spin out the front of the caravan park. Fishing out here in previous years had provided decent meals of snapper and Spanish mackerel, which gets very interesting when only fishing from a small kayak. This time around though, we had obviously forgotten to tell the fish, as only an undersized Spaniard was managed, with a large bust off from the bottom which left the ‘deckie’ using some pretty colourful language.

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

With another cooperative day of weather, it was decided to head back down into the National Park to try our luck their again. Once again we were greeted with the slow fishing that had plagued us for the holiday, only managing the one trevally for about three hours, with absolutely no mention of any snapper about.

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

With another stint of bad weather about to greet us, and with the fishing still slow, we decided to cut the trip short and head back down to Perth. On the way out though, we decided for a last ditch effort at one of the local mangrove systems. The reception was the same as the rest of the trip – small trevally. With the rain starting up again, I came up with the ingenious plan to park the campervan as close as I could to the creek, and simply fish from the comfort of the van. Thus keeping dry, and doing so in style of the vans couch.

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I had previous thought that you would have to be fairly careless to step on a stonefish, even bordering on stupidity, as surely you would be able to see them on the bottom. Alas my tune has now changed. After fishing a part of the creek for some time, I was beginning to get a little bored so I retrieved my lure almost to my toes on the shore, or this is what I was intending to do, as when the lure reached about a foot away from my toes it passed over a rock. As it passed over this rock, the rock opened is mouth, engulfed the lure, and settled back on the bottom. In complete astonishment, it was dragged onto the shore, admired and had it’s picture taken, then pushed back into the water with my rod, all the while enjoying its new lip ring and about 30cm of fluorocarbon leader.

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

So all in all, it turned out to be a windy and rainy holiday with the fish few and far between. I was lucky enough to manage a few fish on the bream outfit, but there was little mention of the snapper that I was truly chasing. Rather than putting a dampener on one of my favourite places to fish, I have simply begun to day-dream about my next holiday to Exmouth. I’m thinking maybe September / December, and this time, I’ll get the snapper.

At least there was a rainbow to great us as we began to reach Perth.

Real men wear PINK!

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Well what can i say, very good report dude ( looks like some one wants a rod :P) love the pics.
    cheers ando

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nath,

Thank you for sharing this awesome trip you have had. Looks bloody wicked and some great photography shots there. The one of the red looking plants with the sea and sky as the background is just terrific.

Well done mate and that is one big long tom man!!!

Cheers

Ben

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nath,

I realy enjoyed the read and pic's. When i head up there i will driil yah for some info. Getting into some mack's of my yak would be a ball!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Wicked report Nath!!

Great yarns and photo's to match. I'm with AA, that pic of the native red bush and water in the background is a killer

Those Stonefish are ugly Mo Fo's eh!

The Trevors look like they'd be fun, and yes, that is a LONG Tom!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast