Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who's struggling to catch a big fish

Who's struggling to catch a big fish at the moment? MEEEEEEEEE
    The weather here in WA has been crap for weeks now with heaps of rain and storms. It should be a good time for big fish like snapper and mulloway from the local rocks, but they (big fish) aren't finding my lines lately. I've put in heaps and heaps of hours sometimes 15hrs+ for stuff all. I did nearly get one recently (snapper) but it dived under a rock ledge at my feet and snagged me up. Also lost a nice shark just as I was about to net it in my large gaff-net. It came towards me and just as it was about to slide in it tuned in the opposite direction and the line wore through. Bummer. Have been getting a few herring and gardies though which some I eat and some I keep for big baits.
    Danny.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Some herring and gardies from recent fishing trips. I catch these while waiting for that big one to come along. Some I use as live baits at the time and some are kept for later as a meal and some for baits.
    Cheers Danny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Great catch Dan!

Your not alone on only catching small fish at the moment...

Can't seem to get a decent Bream in the river laterly its really bugging me!

Hopefully your luck turns around and you get the Snapper you caught in previous seasons - very impressive!

good luck
    James
    James

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James Graham View Post
    Great catch Dan!

Can't seem to get a decent Bream in the river laterly its really bugging me!!
    good luck
    James
    Bummer on the Bream fishing, I was thinking of giving that a go just for a change too. Nothing as relaxing as Breaming aye. Beats standing on a rock with the wind and rain pouring down on you, and the waves and spray crashing over from the opposite side of the rocks. We must be friggin mad. All worth it, if it all comes together but.
    Cheers Danny.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey James and Danny,

Danny, you are mad! haha Just kidding mate. At least you almost got that pinky and shark. Got be out there in the elements to get into them hey?!

James, I have only managed to get out once for a bream session. I was out for 30mins and then the heavens opened up big time. I started the 5min walk home but still got totaly saturated. I did manage a few decent bream on the trusty camo sandworms in that 30min break in the weather.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Still nothing big to report but tried again yesterday for a few hours. (around 9hrs or so) It was a real nice day, calm as anything with an offshore breeze sending out a berley slick that went half way to Garden Island. Not a touch on the big lines.
    There was the usual small fish again to pass the time but I only kept a few for livies and let the rest go. There also were a few Buff Bream around 2-3kgs roughly, good fighters on the flick rods but they would only take the smallest of hooks like the baitchaser rigs and either bust the light line at the hook or otherwise snag me up on the rocks. had a ball trying but.
    Danny.