Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Red Line Finesse!!!!

Thanks to the fellas over at TackleTour, my exploits have been renamed as above. The newest evolution of ultralight and light tackle fishing. What a blast.

Fellas, I don't even know where to start.
    Latest was another 80 cm barra from "the" bridge, with a 41 cm mangrove jack coming up 20 minutes after that. Yep, I'm soaked in the photo: had to swim for the barra again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ultralight RULES!!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's more!!!

A couple of barra we got into a while back. Fished off Lucinda Jetty, looking to play with the hordes of tarpon and anything else (torpedo scads, GT's, bigeyes, whatever!!). Boy were we surprised when these two came up.

1st one is Owen's caught the first night. Another biggie falls to the Nitro I rebuilt for him. The fish went nuts, spiralling and diving all over trying to get in the pylons. Big lure = big fish for sure. I think it was one of those big jerkbaits, on a 7g jighead. Measured out to 76 cm.

Mine was taken the next night (Saturday), after Owen left for Townsville. She taped out to 75 cm and smacked a 10 g Raider fished in the channel between the old jetty pylons and the jetty "T". A hell of a fight on my 5 pce rod and 8 lb line, with no sign of the fish until she popped to the surface.
    Last edited by Shortlite; 22-08-2007 at 10:39 PM.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Laura weighed in on the same night with the biggest tarpon, a 55 cm (fork length) beauty. We ended up hitting so much action that we stayed out to 3 am the Friday night. Only counted the fish landed, and even that was a struggle. In fact, I've forgotten!!!
    Ultralight RULES!!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is some great light tackle fihing without a boat , well done.

Rob
    Land Behind , Fish Below , Stories Ahead.....

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shortlite,

Mate you are certainly known on this site as the LIGHT TACKLE CHAMP that is for sure.

Such great fish you are catching and that Tarpon in particular, boy they go hard.

Tell us, what is your light tackle tip mate?

Cheers

Ben

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Top stuff Ted.....

Some ripper fish there mate, ya gotta love downsizing your tackle and upsizing the catch!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys. Ben, each time I put down another tip, the list gets longer and longer. I've actually been thinking about penning an article (hehehe), or maybe even a book in the future!

My top tip would be to keep your gear in top shape, and know it well. Be in tune, and it'll fall into place.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shortlite,

I couldnt agree with you more on knowing how and when to push your gear to the limit.

There are a few memorable captures that I can think of where knowing you gear and its limits was crucial. I think the Jacks you are getting on such light gear is just bloody incredible.

My belief is, if you have knowledge to share and can do a book, why not. Knowledge is power, Knowledge is confidence and it just may make you a few quid along the way.

What is your recommended leader and braid mate?

Cheers buddy.

Ben

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluorocarbon is very hyped up, with good reason, but unless the water is clear, or I'm gunning for sharp eyes like tarpon or mackerel, I use a lot of mono. Mostly I fish 6 feet of 20 lb with a bite leader of 1 foot of 40 lb. These days I use Surecatch Ultimate leader (20, 30, 40). I like it for its soft nature (easy to stretch/anneal), but quite abrasion resistant, and very good knottability. When I do go lighter, or when water is clear, Nitlon Fluorocarbon in 8, 12 and 16 lb. to replace the 20. Bite leaders are the 20, 30 and 40 lb Surecatch, kept short to reduce visibility. I have tried a few heavy fluorocarbons, but have not been happy with their knottability. I rarely use wire.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Some top shots there Ted. That Tarpon of Laura's is a ripper of a fish.

Cheers

Theo.
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast