Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cockburn Sound Fishing trip

I got a chance the other day for a quick trip out into Cockburn Sound in my bother inlaws boat. I don't usually get out in boats very often so it was a pleasant way to spend an afternoon, even though it was quite choppy on the water. Also a couple of rain showers but nothing too bad. We were hoping to get into some snapper but we didn't manage to get any. the sounder was showing quite a few fish were actually underneath but it was very hard trying to get them to bite. We threw out heaps of berley to try and stir them up. Eventually we startd to get one or two runs and got a couple of stingrays which kept us occupied for a while. Then all of a sudden we started to get into a few small Gummy sharks. We landed five between three of us over a short period of time. All were released to grow bigger but it was good fun.
    Not a bad afternoon on the water.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of pics
    At one stage I got a fast run on my overhead reel and it it over ran, but I grabbed it just before it went flying over the side. I could just hold it but couldn't wind the reel at all because of the big tangle. We did't have any gloves so it was going to be hard to try and handline it in. After a few minutes of getting no where I wrapped the line around my arm in a thick jacket and cut it and then tied it onto another rod and reel. The fish was still thumping hard but it went for another run and snagged me up. I couldn't get it off so ended up losing it. Bummer.
    We had a visit from the local friendly dolphin again wanting a feed as well.
    Danny.
    Last edited by Daniel W; 28-09-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

do people eat them gummies? i seen it ona few vic based fishing site, where they target them.

cheers

lippa

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah them Gummies are real good eating, but we prefer them slightly bigger. We're going out again tonight to see if we can get some slightly bigger ones. Heaps of fish-tuna oil and berley and see what happens.
    Danny.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I can vouch for that gummies are good tucker ,sounds like you had a good day.That dolphin looks pretty friendly...Nice PIC.

The coastline behind you looks similar to here on the Gold Coast looks like you are off Currumbin.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Pirie; 28-09-2007 at 09:23 PM.
    Land Behind , Fish Below , Stories Ahead.....

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we got out again in the sound for another all night trip. We got down to the ramp in the late afternoon and a boat that was just back said the snapper were schooling and biting. He had five nice size ones on board between two of them. We went out and found the spot where the snapper were. Heaps of boats fishing on the spot but they had gone off the bite. We could see them on the sounder but they wouldn't bite. We tried for about five hours with no luck so decided to move further out. Went about four or five kms out and found a spot with plenty of fish showing on the sounder. We caght Port Jackson sharks one after another up to about a metre in length. There not real good eating or fighting but it stopped us from being bored. I must of landed twenty or more as well as a few Gurnards-sharp spines but nice eating. Also a few Norwest blowies were landed and one occie and a squid. Everything was released except the occie and squid. We got sick of catching the Port Jacksons so moved out further and fished until after daylight. Nothing decent came on board, but I had a berley bucket hanging over the side and all of a sudden a nice size mako Shark came up and bumped the boat. It was about five or six foot and wanted to eat the berley. I had a top line out with a gardie on for bait so I brought it in closer to see if he would take it. He looked at it but was real cautious and just sucked at it but wouldn't take it properly, each time dropping it and not hooking up. It then went and had a look at my brother inlaws bait and he struck hard pulling it out of its mouth but snagging it in the side.After a qick struggle we had it at the side of the boat and I had a shot at gaffing it but couldn't quite get a good shot and it took fright and took off fast and the line came off. It came back a few more times but it wouldn't take our baits, just sniffing the berley pot. Eventually it dissappeared and we decided to call it a day and go home. We hadn't slept all night so were pretty stuffed.
    All in all we caght heaps and heaps of fish and didn't get bored all night, just the fish wern't really what we wanted. Still beat staying at home. When we got back to the boat ramp a boat that had fished in our first spot, had landed a nize size snapper. Thats fishing though.
    Danny.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Daniel,

Nice work pal.

How do you cook the gummies? It is more crumbed and battered or are they nice pan fried?

Cheers

Ben

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveAngler View Post
    Daniel,

Nice work pal.

How do you cook the gummies? It is more crumbed and battered or are they nice pan fried?

Cheers

Ben
    Either way they're nice, But I like most fish crumbed and battered. YUM
    Cheers Danny.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Danny.

We are all suckers for battered or crumbed (he he).

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report there Danny. Its been mayhem in the sound with boats lately. Plenty of people out there banging into each other and ignoring the bag limits.

Heres a pic for ya of one I got tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast