Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing with Happygilmore

While l was in Townsville, l was fortunate enough to catch up with Aaron (Happygilmore), who was kind enough to invite my son in law and l for an early morning fishing session on his boat on th Bohle River. We met at the boat ramp at Bushland beach at 4:30 am and set out to gather some live bait, prawns. This in its self was an experiance for me as l have never seen anyone cast a 'cast net' before, and Aaron did it very well. He even went as far as teaching my son in law and l how to cast as well, and in the process got mud over my Active Angler shirt. You could tell that Aaron knew this river system well, as he pointed out some of his favorite fishing haunts, as we made our way to the entrance.
    It was low tide, and we deployed the baits while waiting for the water's edge to reach the mangroves, which would be the best time to cast lures at our querry awaiting to ambush its prey. There was ample activity on the surface with mullet fleeing from hungry thredfin (l think)and clearing the surface. We even spotted a small crocodile on the muddy bank
    I was slow to start, as my son in law caught a bream or two, Aaron also had a few hits, when finally l was on. My first fish caught at Townsville. The rod had a nice bend and the fish was pulling drag as it made its way downstream, but to my dissapointment it was to be a small stingray.
    We ventured around and fished a rocky headland and had a few hits,but failed to hook up. Aaron tried everything to get us onto some fish, and succeded in getting my son in law his first fish on a lure. Would you believe it a whiting. We though this was a bit of a fluke, but he caught another soon afterwards, but this one got snagged on the surface and hammered by a hungry Jack. What a sight that was!
    Aaron and l caught a small barra each, and a couple of cod. I also managed to capture a Chiclid fish, another first for me.
    We were having such a great time and getting on well with our new friend Aaron, but sadly we had to cease fishing, as we had another appointment with my daughter and her one day old baby Isabella at the Townsville Hospital.
    Once again, l would like to thank Aaron ver much for taking my son in law and l out on this trip. He had never met me before and only knew of me through 'Active Angler'.
    Now is that a good reason to be a member of this great forum or what?
    Attached Images Attached Images