Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default From Flat to Flat

I love the relaxed feeling I get when the last of the city suburbs phase out into bushland. It is then that the tension of the hustle and bustle of work life eases and you know you are on holiday.

Unable to secure accommodation in the Margaret River region at short notice Walpole became our intended destination for a post Christmas break.

The journey south was the fourth time I would be staying in the sleepy town of Walpole. This is a town that you can miss if you blink while driving across the South Coast Highway. A great place to kick back and not do much.

Aside from the beautiful old forests that Loren and me love to drive through (and hug the odd Tingle or two) breaming in the two inlets always was itching in my mind.

As always the local Acanthopagrus butcheri badboys engaged me in some tug of war. They pulled on the owner stinger trebles hanging of pretty Japanese shads while I lent back on my Ultrabream peeling braid of the new Luvias. As always, I loved it. The average size of the bream was lower then in previous trips but a 40+er still came to the party. In between the century of blackies a few tarwhine, bluespot, king george and yellowfin whiting interrupted the hypnotic wiggle action of the hard plastics. I am still looking for that Ultralight Crown division match with the local giant herring torpedos, next time!

An overnight trip to Albany was part of our plans for this trip with a little bit of sightseeing and catching up with an old mate of Loren’s to distract me from my piscatorial dreaming disorder. Thanks to local knowledge from young gun breamer Grayson I got pointed in the direction of Oyster Harbour flats. Seaweed and almost stepping on a local shark aside I had a ball, them Albany bream fight way harder then their Walpole cousins. I only had a brief taste of the Albany luring and I liked it, I got to get back soon and do some exploring.

Cheers

Pete

Attached Images Attached Images
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like another great holiday Pete, Good to see you getting amoungst them southern fish. What a great little place Walpole is aye. I could just about retire at a place like that some day.
    So back to work yet or still some time off?
    Danny.
    Rock N Reel King

Check out my photos Dan's Fishing Life

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see u go into a few down here Pete!!

the sleepy ol banjo ( yes we are that redneck) e have comps to see how many we can get by grabing there tails haha.

Deacon
    Proudly supported by:

Jiggy Jigs
    www.jiggyjigs.com

Egrell Dezignz Rodz
    http://www.egrell.com.au

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pics there Pete Walpole is a favourite with me also we usually stay at Rest Point caravan pk its like stepping into a different zone cant wait to get back there
    cheers Adrian

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel W View Post
    Sounds like another great holiday Pete, Good to see you getting amoungst them southern fish. What a great little place Walpole is aye. I could just about retire at a place like that some day.
    So back to work yet or still some time off?
    Danny.
    I reckon I could retire there now, just need the fundsBack at work unfortunetly Danny.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Nice to see u go into a few down here Pete!!

Deacon
    Hey Deacon, it was nice fishing your hometown mate. I realy wish I could have stayed for a longer period and fish with you too aswell as Grayson. How did Breamer Bay go, a bit messy I hear????

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by osprey540 View Post
    Great pics there Pete Walpole is a favourite with me also we usually stay at Rest Point caravan pk its like stepping into a different zone cant wait to get back there
    cheers Adrian
    Hey Arian, Rest Point from what I have heard and seen is a great place to stay.

The Pole is tops!

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Top stuff Pete - nice fish and shot's there mate.

I notice's that you do not use a swivel, do you think the lure swim's better with out one or it's what you like to do.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by virty View Post
    Top stuff Pete - nice fish and shot's there mate.

I notice's that you do not use a swivel, do you think the lure swim's better with out one or it's what you like to do.
    Hey Mate,

There is no need for a swivel. Just braid double uni knotted to fluoro then lure or jig attached by loop knot. Simple rig and the best i have found so far.

cheers

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

sweet, half your luck. We should all have holidays like that.(dreaming)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast