Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Tas Breamin

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tas Breamin

Popped out to our holiday shack on the east coast for a couple of nights to visit my brother and his family,the weather gods werent smiling on us too much with some very average winds making the thought of heading wide a bit unpleasant.
    In between drinks we slipped out to annoy some bream and in a couple of quick hour long jaunts we werent let down
    the wind if you can bear it seems to bring them on the chew at times,we managed 7 nice fish ranging from 38-44cm to the fork ,good fun in the shallows and wiles the time away nicely when you cant get out in the real brine
    all caught on the trusty gulp fry
    cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Solid fish blacksnake, I'm heading to Tassie again real soon and gonna try and get myself a brute like that.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like some real nice breambo's there for ya Blacksnake. I hope you had a few ciders in between catching them anyway over the festive season.

Did you try hardbodies or only plastics? Any standout colour in the gulp fry? I take it you were using light jig heads?

Cheers

Aaron

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

G'Day Blacksnake,
    Nice bream there mate, they get pretty big down there. Last time i was down there i only chased the trout, but next time i will just have to have a go at those big black bream on plastics.

Cheers,
    John.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happygilmour View Post
    Sounds like some real nice breambo's there for ya Blacksnake. I hope you had a few ciders in between catching them anyway over the festive season.

Did you try hardbodies or only plastics? Any standout colour in the gulp fry? I take it you were using light jig heads?

Cheers

Aaron
    mate, cut my teeth on the watermelon fry, my tackle box doesnt look like the wall of a well stocked shop because i have confidence in the fry mainly,and sand worms, so i rarely use hard bodies as a rule.
    light jig heads are the way to go,no point in going too heavy,they drop too fast and dont look natural enough,i dont know anything that sinks as fast as a stone in our waters that bream would eat
    cheers

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

solid fish mate, a lot darker than the fish up here

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stabin View Post
    solid fish mate, a lot darker than the fish up here
    Funny you should say that Cap'n.I was just looking at some photo's of Bream from the north of Tas and comparing them with their East Coast[Tas] cousins.The ones from the North seem to be a lot more silvery.Don't know that it's much to do with the colour of the water as some of the ones from the North have been caught in fairly dark water.
    Cheers

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blacksnake View Post
    we managed 7 nice fish ranging from 38-44cm to the fork ,cheers
    You'd have to be happy with that,well done.
    Danny.
    Rock N Reel King

Check out my photos Dan's Fishing Life

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DICKY View Post
    Funny you should say that Cap'n.I was just looking at some photo's of Bream from the north of Tas and comparing them with their East Coast[Tas] cousins.The ones from the North seem to be a lot more silvery.Don't know that it's much to do with the colour of the water as some of the ones from the North have been caught in fairly dark water.
    Hey Dicky,
    From what I've been told of late a lot of the Bream caught along the Northern area of Tassie are actually a Hybrid species. Pretty amazing really. Makes a lot of sense as these Hybrids would only now be coming up the rivers from sea.
    This would also explain why the northern bream seem a lot more of the Silver colour to them than the East Coast cousins.

No doubt there is a few resident Blacks amongst them but seems a majority are the hybrid or Yellow Fin Fellas.
    Nice Bream Blacksnake I'll be down the coast for a couple of weeks myself as of Monday
    Cheers and Beers
    Baloo