Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More fishing adventures on the Maroochy river

Hi there active anglers!!

It has been a little while since I last posted here - hope everyone got some fantastic summer fishing in

Well this is pretty ironic - but even though I have been on holidays for almost 5 weeks now - I have not been out fishing once This is not good enough! LOL!

Anyway, a mate came up from Brisbane (one who is always keen to go fishing) so I dragged him out to the Maroochy river for some fishing. The funny thing was - I caught not ONE THING that day! Sam had my crappy Shimano rod and reel combo and boy - he was reeling them in!! He was catching Bream - despite the scumminess of the water from all the recent rain we have been having. The runoff has made the water a lovely chocolate brown! He also caught a little cod.

I on the other hand - had my $200+ Penn rod and reel combo and I was not catching a thing I dont get it at all!!

Look - at the end of the day it is not about the catch quantity for me. I do love to reel them in - but I am more than happy to sit on a river bank or beach and meditate for a couple of hours if nothing is nibbling.

By the way - if you are going fishing on the Maroochy River - prawn bait is working a treat for me at the moment!

Seeya! Nic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nic
    more to fishing than catching fish aye
    that looks like a nice spot to watch the world go by
    Cheers Adrian

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

That's it Nic - You where out there giving it ago it's beat's sitting at home.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Know what you mean

Nic

I was down your way for a couple of days last week and had a look at the river. It sure was a lovely shade of brown. Lots of people fishing however and most seemed to be catching something.
    We walked out over the bridge to the island there (opposite the boat hire) and saw folks spread out all along the bank enjoying themselves.
    Made me want to grab a rod and give it a go even though this was a supposed to be a non-fishing holiday.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicole,

You will need to get one of our AA members to show you how it is done so you can show Sam up next time you go fishing.

Peace right back at ya lol.

Cheers - Ben

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, don't you just hate it when someone outfishes yah on your turf.... at least yah got outdoors and got your mate onto them....
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

sweet great place to fish Nic i have had some good success on plastics in the Maroochy. I only use black & gold squidgies or ecogear power minnow in green white.The three trips i have down in 07 netted one under sized bream, three whitting(loved the eco) and one flattie that went 47cm. All the best with the fishing