Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: mixed bag.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mixed bag.

Well, long time no posts so here goes.
    I've been working quite a lot lately so when the opportunity for and early finish on friday and a weekend off arrived I was pretty to keen to sod off. Not so keen however that I missed the fishy activity less than a cast offshore as I walked up to my car. Baitfish were going everywhere as they were attacked from above and below by both birds and some sort of predatory fish. After grabbing the rod that lives in my car for just such emergencies I headed back down and within seconds was into a fish. They turned out to be nice little cocky salmon of about 40cm. I ended up with 8 in 9 casts before a pike hooked me up to a mooring rope and by the time i'd sorted that out the pike had moved in big time so after a few of these I called it a night.
    after this I was keen to get back for another go and by offering a friend of Tracey's some fresh squid (there are heaps about atm) I managed the perfect excuse. this time I jumped in a boat and headed out first to grab the squid and then began a series of drifts flicking lures around. I ended up with quite a few flatties, salmon (aust), pike, mullet and wrasse as well as a cod (a new species for me) and a bastard trumpeter that unfortunately pulled the hooks so although I didn't score anything great, there was plenty of action. The highlight however was a big hookup that unfortunately popped off after a serious couple of runs, most likely an escaped harvest fish. I kinda forgot about the camera, so only took a pic. of the last fish and ducked back out to get a shot of the squid (apologies for the poor quality).
    Cheers
    Col.
    PS. Talk about frustrating. I spent 3hrs this morning with some really nice salmon busting up baitfish only a short cast from where I was working. unfortunately by the time I was finished they were long gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey wrasseman, a few fish for you there mate.....
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool to see all those Squid Col...

Have you seen many commercial boats slaying 'em at night?

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, they're in the pens with the salmon.