Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick arvo session on the Bohle Nth QLD

Gday all,

Had a small early mark from work and was pestered from brother Bj to go for a fish and as it turned out his girlfriend Vera also came. With limited time decided to pop down to local waterway , The Bohle river,that gets hammered most days of the week but can fish well at times.

Headed straight for my never fail creek mouth that always supplies me some livies in the form of prawns and mullet. After 20 min of collecting bait it was back down to the mouth to set some baits over a rock bar that runs across the river mouth.

After a few missing baits and nothing to show I decided to move as the tide started to ripp in. Headed to a snag that 2Utes and I fished and had success at. Bj and vera threw out live baits under floats while i threw plastics at the mangrove roots. Bj's first bait dissapeared soon after and a small black spot cod came aboard. for the next 45 min it was quiet and as we were about to go home as the sun set and sandflys bitting crazy.

Last cast with a weedless rigged horny toad and my line abrubtly stops mid retrives as I was twitching the from sub surface. First sign of the fish i call it for a small barra, then bj call it a large bream before a very pale mangrove jack is landed. Within seconds of placing the fish on the carpet for a pic the red devil decide to turn red and mean looking. How cool do jacks look

Anyway a few pics before we pull up anchor and head home. Not alot of fish caught in the session but had fun fishing a new lure and catching fish.

Enjoy pics. Also saw a nice little snappin handbag on the way to the mouth after collecting bait.(est 1.8mtr)

Cheers

Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy - How lucky are you to be so close to a place like that for a quick flick and pick up a couple fish good stuff.

Do you see many croc's when you go out ? she look's like a good size.

Good to see the AA top too.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron,

Nice work mate and nice shirt

Just with the white froggy looking plastic you were using - just curious as to what made you choose a frog pattern rather than a prawn or mud herring or sardine pattern?

Cheers - Ben

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

HI Virty and Ben,

The croc was small compared to some but at a size you would keep an eye on for sure

Ben, was trying the frog for a few reasons - there has been plenty of fresh pushed through the system with all the rain over the last few weeks . The bohle has large flood plains that drain into the river so plenty of frogs etc would of came down with the fresh.

Also was simply practising using the bait as i only have fished with it for 20min or so previously and want to spend some time using it and work on the best style retrieves,action etc. The bait has a nice glide action when worked sub surface and can also be worked over the surface like a fizzer.Thanks Matt(Mak579) for the lures

Cheers

Aaron

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Jack there Happy , last cast saves the day again
    pretty glad we dont have those snappy things down here in Perth but then again with climate change who knows
    cheers Adrian

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron,

Those frogs arent those "horny frogs" I have been hearing about?

Cheers - Ben

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats the ones Ben!!!!!!

The toads are coming to get ya mate

Am going to play more with them, trim some off the legs to get a paddle action on the drop, mabe scollop some out from the body to be able to fish on surface slower??

Plastics rocks, versitile and able to be modded easily.

keep you updated mate

Cheers

Aaron

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Aaron...i liked the fact that you can modify your plastics to suit your needs.
    That looks like the same crock we saw. LOL

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by osprey540 View Post
    pretty glad we dont have those snappy things down here in Perth but then again with climate change who knows
    cheers Adrian
    and with them crocs will come the barra, threadfin, jacks, golden snapper etc......BRING ON GLOBAL WARMING TO PERTH!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Snapping hand bag!! Did he have his eye on Bruno?
    and " how good do jacks look", I am still yet to do battle with one.
    We chased them last Monday untill 1am Monday night, no luck. Found some nice country and structure. Will keep at it
    Another great report mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast