Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm going to miss Brisbane!!

Let me take you back to were it all started. The 2006 tinnie and tackle show. I remember sitting in the crowd watching the live bream weigh in thinking to myself how these sponsored anglers have the life. Watching the bream anglers turn up in flash fibre glass boats, and watching them weigh in the bream was an inspiring site to see. I remember sitting in the chair listen to Tim “the bream” Morgan talking about how he was used soft plastics to catch his full bag limit of five bream. That wealth and knowledge was a vital piece of information for me to start lure fishing in the Brisbane River.

Ever since that day the Brisbane River was like a second home to me on weekends and school holidays. The river was also the same place I meet my two best mates Troy and Nabeel.

It was only about two years ago when I got my first fish in the Brisbane River and were my true passions for lure fish really begun. I still remember it like it was just yesterday, pitching my 3’ pumpkinseed powerbait into a rocky shore line covered in mangroves and pulling out a 15cms estuary cod. Troy’s first ever lure caught fish came from the same stretch of bank to our surprise another estuary cod.

Troy with his first and defiantly not last Brisbane river Estuary cod.

Later that same day we fishing Brekky creek, and long narrow creek running off from the Brisbane River. From Listening to all the tips the pro bream anglers had to say really inspired us to target the humble yellow fin bream. At time the time I didn’t really know what I was doing fishing a 1/8th jig head in about 1 meter of water, although I still did manage to catch a few bream.

Me with my first Brisbane river bream.

For that whole week troy and I targeted bream in Brekky creek until our hands were about to fall off.

Another bream.

Troy scored his first ever trev.

The internet was also a very good learning curb. Reading reports and seeing what people were using to catch the fish was very helpful. Troy and I wanted to try fishing some new ground and did a little bit of reading about the Pinkenbar flathead and wanted to give them a go. So of we went with our heaver leaders to target some flatties.

We found with a lot of the flathead fishing we started doing that the more ground you covered the more flatties we got.

After a few months of chasing just flatties and bream we wanted to start getting a lot more serious with our fishing. We started looking at our gear and really wanted you upgrade from the basic old Berkley dropshot rods and shimano symeter reels. So that’s what we did next. Upgrading to Loomis rods and high end shimano reels.

After sharing a few of our earlier reports on the internet, I got contacted by another guy our age called Nabeel. He wanted to come for a fish with us some time in the river, and so that’s what we did. Nabeel invited us back to his property for a fish in his man made lake stocked with Australian bass.

Nabs (Nabeel) had a little row boat that we used to get around with in the dam. The dam was about the size of one football field, and the edges was filled the luxurious lillie beds.

It was a really good learning experience catching the bass on different lures, and experimenting with different leader sizes. I guess Nabeels dam was the first place we tried a lot of things. We started fishing smarter casting towards submerged time and lillie pads. Also we started trying a huge range of lures, including hard bodies none of us had ever got a fish on hard bodies before fishing Nabeels dam. We were shocked how affective the hb’s were on the bass and got us thinking about using them on bream cod and flatties in the river.

My first bass

After all the susses from the trips to Nabeels dam we started fishing hb’s in the river. We found them to be a lot more efficient no snagging up like plastics did. We started catching a lot more bream then we ever had and cod as well.

We had a lot of fun at nabs dam, so we started chasing the bass at north pine dam. I’m really going to miss the big bass there !!

Troy with a big yella

Who can forget all the big thredies, spent many hours on the water chasing them.

Few more pics.

Can’t be bothered putting up anymore pics got far too many, but I guess you get the point I am going to Miss Queensland!!!

Cheers ando’
    cheers ando

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers ando

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of nice fish there and plenty of happy memories I'm sure.
    Where are you going and why?
    Danny.
    Rock N Reel King

Check out my photos Dan's Fishing Life

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure there are some priceless memories in them photos..... cheers for sharing.

Headed for Melbourne ando? Why are you making the big move mate?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

yer moved to melbourne, parents work
    cheers ando