Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chomped

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default chomped

Had a wade the other day and got one of them strange looking little fellows that i have seen others get before. The area that looks chomped is smooth and healed over. Have people in other states got bream with wounds like this?

I got the little lad from a school that was hunting some wind chopped up area. The bite went on for half an hour with a heap of bream landed then they shide from the area and the man with the rod...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

They are definatley one hardy little fish Pete , imagine if something took that percentage of your flesh out with a bite and you had no medical attention how long would you last
    I always thought that Dolphins were responsible but after observing them hunting in the shallows at Monkey Mia i'm not sure now as they were forcing their prey to the surface and attacking from below
    Plenty of Bull sharks in the river tho
    cheers Adrian

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice pic's pete - that unreal for that fish to live with a bite like that.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that once their lateral line was chomped through they would die. Even if using a fish for live bait if you put the hook through the lateral line they usually die real quick.
    Amazing how that fish survived.
    I also heard from a tackle store that another Bullshark was sighted up the Canning.
    Danny
    Last edited by Daniel W; 29-01-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Rock N Reel King

Check out my photos Dan's Fishing Life

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Pete,

I remember fishing around Cowley Beach, 15 - 20 mins from Mena Creek and I used to catch a alot of bream and mullet in the cast net (trying to get sardines and / or prawns), and would even get small bream with quite substantional 'marks' on there body. I also noticed this was fairly common in mullet. At times, some of the 'marks', I could not ascertain if it was 'disease related' or if as a result of a another fish having a bit of a chomp and was left with the scaring. But most of the marks did involve the fish having some sort of whitish jelly like substances with a reddy coloured membrane. Definately not the norm and either a fish has incurred an injury and the disease has set in?

I do know that in some cases, the fishes body was almost being eaten away and I am sure some of the fish didnt live past to see that year.

But it does look the injury the fish you caught is very 'shark mouth' shaped - from what I can see.

Cheers - Ben

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaha tough buggers eh !!!!

no wonder they live so long...

great pics mate..thanks !!!

Maxi
    confirmed lure and tackle junkie......

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

You see the odd fish with niks and scratches but thats a fair hit the poor bugger got, A lot of the Tuna species in the Bay here get hit by sharks and left with scars

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish are tough buggers heh!!

May i throw in turtle????

Pete, Just off topic:-how is the Luvius going mate? Also what rod are you curently using with it. By the thread work thought it might be a custom job?Those Japanese trout lures are kiling it on the bream mate.

cheers

Aaron

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Have also read about the disease theory.... poor little bugger hey?!

Happygilmour, Compared to The Sol i was using before the Luvias is a little smoother, feels lighter and more delicate. The Sol feels tougher and punches more drag. Both are great Daiwas. The rod is a Innovator Nitro Ultrabream. Its a crisp blank but could do with a better (ergonomic) reel seat.

I love my breamskis on lures!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happygilmour View Post

May i throw in turtle??

Aaron

Good call Aaron very similar wound to that inflicted by a squid (another beaked type critter) on large baits but no squid in that neck of the woods , but plenty of small turtles .
    Would a small turtle move quick enough to attack a small Bream
    Cheers Adrian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast