Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    thats a helluva report there beevor,top job
    is the fishing like that all year down in tassie? when,wheres the best time periods to be down yonder?
    Thanks lads....

Different systems fire at different times of the year, but you can catch Bream all year round

You can catch Trout all year round also, but are resrticted to about 6 lakes in the 'off-season'. (Season closes for about 3 months for spawning).

Get amongst it fellas!!

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beevor View Post

Different systems fire at different times of the year, but you can catch Bream all year round
    i am sure you can,can you be a little more specific in which would be the best time weatherwise etc
    eg are certain places prone to flooding? icing over etc etc

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be leading you up the garden path weather-wise, as Tassie is reknown for '4 seasons in one day' type of weather.... even the weather guru's can't get it right

In some highland areas, they have a WHITE CHRISTMAS - Yes, SNOW in Summer!!

Obviously, Summer is an obvious choice if you were to come for a visit. The weather can be (mostly) warm, but it comes with wind. Autumn can be more settled in the wind dept. although getting cold, and you lose daylight hours. Spring is a great time if you like cold mornings and enjoy catching Trout and Sea-run Trout in the early season.

Rain/floods are unpredictable - It's always wetter in the winter, but can still flood in Summer if we have enough rain over a few days. In saying that, many parts of Tassie are experiencing extreme drought conditions.

Some Estuaries that hold Bream can ice over a bit during winter - but it's not that common. The highland lakes can also ice over but usually when the season is closed.

Check out this mag:
    www.tasmaniansportsfisher.com.au

It has some fantastic back issues online.

Hope this helps!

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Gday Peter

I would give the Derwent a miss. Holds a few decent sized fish but pretty unpleasant fishing conditions. Dirty water and parked in the middle of a Capital city with some big industry pouring crap into the water.

Do yourself a favour and head for the East Coast rivers. Natural settings, good fish (bigger than the Derwent fish in some places) and you can at least have a feed. Try late Spring or late Summer.
    forum whore hunter

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks beevor,but i am really mainly interested in bream,the little bit i have heard about tassie is that the derwent is the "go to" spot, from what i have seen in pics the mountain in the background with snow on it,it reminds me of Queenstown in NZ
    its hard to comprehend good fishing in such cold climes,do these fish need a very slow approach or are they very willing to bite?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123