Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maggie Island Flats Gold!!!

A couple of weeks back my girlfriend and I got a call inviting us to go flats fishing with a friend of ours aboard his boat.

6 am found us at the boat ramp for pickup. Terry had slept out on the water after a nice afternoon's fishing the previous day, and rocked up just as we got there. All aboard, and in the low light it was off to a few spots in the bay for a bit of a troll and jig before the sun was high enough to have a go at sight fishing the flats.

After a slow start we started getting hits on the big deep diving Scorpions. First solid strike had us all gesticulating and screaming, while no-one grabbed the rod (Laura smoking, me at the stern, and Terry driving). Missed it. Next strike, just a little tap tap: I grabbed the rod and up came a grinner even smaller than the plug. A while later a better inquiry saw me boat a small (just legal) doggie mackerel, which we released. Then it went kinda sour for a while, before finally the light rod keeled over under some good weight. Unfortunately that fish also came off before any of use could react. Minutes later the heavy rod slammed down and the tight drag wailed as a solid fish tried to make off with a fake dinner. I pulled up and stuck it, then held on as 80 lb braid crackled off, then slack. Pulled hooks again. Dammit!!!

So it went for a bit longer, with more grinners and halfhearted strikes from small mackerel. The decision was made to drift and jig placcies over some rough ground in 30 feet of water. We set up and dropped down, and then up came grinner after grinner. Quite annoying. Just as we were about to pull the plug I got a solid hit on my 4" bass minnow. My little All Star hooped over and the Biomaster screamed in protest, then snip! Up came the leader, neatly sliced through the lknot to the jig. Rerigged and dropped down, but right back into the grinners.

So we pulled the pinand shot over to the protected inside flats of Magnetic island. I rigged up with an Atomic jerkbait, Laura a bass minnow, and Terry his 5wt fly rod and some tan coloured fluff. We cruised the flat, trying to get into shallow water, but even with a neap tide and little movement there was still not enough to get into the shallows where we could see GT's and goldies tailing and devouring all sorts of coral rubble living critters. So we worked the deeper parts and edges, looking for cruising fish, feeding fish and feeding rays. Pretty soon we found the goldies, but while we were after them with the leccy, a bustup behind us galvanised me into action. A quick backhand flick, two jerks and I came tight to a very angry GT that proceeded to throw his weight around in a fit of splashing and running. First time on the flats for me, and first cast with intent puts one in the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ultralight RULES!!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

With the skunk out and swimming back to Townsville we got back on the trail of the goldies, and pretty soon had a shot at a pod of nice fish cruising. Fly line up, presentation made, SPLOOSH! A second later, touchdown on my jig, three quick flicks, ZING!!! Double header. I work mine hard close up, while Terry's (bigger) decides it wants out and zooms off.

Double hookup. Unlucky for Laura, she couldn't quite see the fish and cast a tad short, then got tangled as the school swung away. Back to working my fish, and pretty soon got it to the boat and in the net.

Me with mine and Terry getting stretched. Also bit of clowning (yep, his ran a good ways out!)
    Edit/Delete Message
    Ultralight RULES!!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Double gold once we finally caught up to Terry's fish.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The good part, and the little GITS!!!

Nearly forgot the best bit!!!! In the first trip we caught a break when the clouds cleared to reveal 2 pods of fish: 1 we were chasing, working away from us, and 1 pod surfing the waves right at us.

Swish, swish, gentle splat, SPLOOSH! Swish, plop, twitch, ZING! Swish, plop, twitch, twitch, ZING!!!

Triple hookup. Terry and mine similar size, Laura's a little smaller and more manageable. Her first golden trev!
    Also got into quite a few GT's, here are a couple more, from that trip and another a week later. Pesky buggers: really hate when they beat the goldies to the lure.

Also got monstered by a couple bigger GT's when I broke out the surface lures for some blind casting as we searched for goldies. One fish entertained me on four casts before deciding he didn't want to play anymore.

Cast 1. Lure: Owner Cultiva Gobo Popper. Result: spit hooks
    Cast 2. Lure: Gobo Popper. Result: hopelessly mangled hooks
    Cast 3. Lure: Rapala Skitter Walk: Result: split hooks
    Cast4. Lure: Rapala Skitter Walk: Result: relieved of rear treble and split ring. Belly treble transformed into a decorative mini spear head. Lure intact, but I think it now has a fearful mind of it's own and dives to the bottom of the tackle box every time I open it.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Ted...I've heard several reports recently of the flats over on the Island going off. Ashley Cotter from tackleworld rang me the other day from over there & reported the the Goldies & Salmon were absolutely everywhere & there would be 2 & 3 at a time smashing the lure!

It's great to see you got amongst some of the action...It's also great to see good old Terry the roofer hasn't lost his touch either!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ted, I love reading about flats/skinny water/shallows, it is my cup of tea. Cheers for sharing the ultralight stuff mate.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Ted,

Thanks for bringing back some good memories! Maggie Island is a beaut place... not only for getting on the drink in November but it is a good place for the Lure chuckers. It looked very fishy when I was there last and just read a Halco Rooster Popper & Trev's!

Cheers and Happy Fishing

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Pete on this one as well, gotta love the sight fishing on the flats.
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pete,

Great report and nice pics...Looks like you had a blast fishing the flats!!!

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

great report, sounds like and awesome little session.
    col.