Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

great fish troy

cheers tates
    born to FISH
    FORCED to work

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happygilmour View Post
    Well done Troy,

You have done well to still be catching them as i heard the threadies are starting to slow down on the river. Could be from the heavier pressure from everyone targeting them too. Do you release the slamon or take home? What outfit are you using to taget the fish?

Geez they fight hard too and those transams are a great lure. Have you bumbed into ant jewies yet on the brissie?

Cheers
    Yeah a combo of fishing pressure and the cold weather have slowed them down which is why that one was a stand out.

I release the Salmon after deflating their swim bladder. It inflates if you hook them in, or they run for deep water so it's essential if they are to survive. Even then they don't release very well. I would be interested to see any statistics on the survival rate of Threadfin, especially the big ones as they seem to take a good 10-15mins to get going again after a good swim.

Basically the same BC combo you'd use on Jacks is what I use. Heavy leader and a tight drag to begin with. The tight drag to set the hooks and stop them quick if they are heading for structure but they are mainly a clean fighting fish. The heavy leader is more for abrasion resistance against their jaw. They have a sharper jaw plate to a Barra which makes it easier to cut through leader on a deep hooked fish which most are.

I've got one School Jew from the river fishing for Bull Sharks on a live Poddy Mullet on 100lb nylon coated wire. Was a nice surprise.

Also a few Jacks drifting unweighted Poddy Mullet around eddies and structure. I use the same outfit for the Threadies as I did on the Jacks, Jewies and Sharks . I'll add a few piccies.

Troy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12