Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thready by-catch and a few Big Brisbane River Bream.

Hey guys.

No Threadies this time but the by-catch kept us entertained. To begin with we casted Tranzams for a good 3 hours for 3 legal Tailor to 40cm and a couple of Choppers, 2 Bream at 35cm and 30cm fork length and 2 nice size Squire at 36cm and 50cm. All of these were finessed on 60lb leader with a 95mm vibe.

As the sun came up we realised we were in for more of a smaller fish day as the bigguns just didn't want to play. I think the cold weather is staring to take effect and you really have to smash the area for any slim chance of hooking one.

We went in search of Bream. First stop was a nice stack of pylons with a few eddies coming off the rear from the run out tide. We landed a good 30 Bream from here with the new TT Switchblades and Ecogear VX35's and VX40's but none would have cracked the 30cm fork length mark. We went searching up River to some spots that ALWAYS produce.

It only took a few casts to get nailed by some aggressive Bream on the vibes. From here we landed around 30 odd Bream with most over 25cm with the biggest going 31, 32, 33, and 34cm fork length. The 31cm and 34cm by 'The Author' (always wanted to do that! ) and the 32cm and 33cm by my mate Sam.

The by-catch here was also good with around 20 Chopper Tailor, 6 or 7 Estuary Cod from 35 to 50cm and one solid bust off after a nice screamy Bream like run. I am certain was a decent Bream possibly around 35cm at a guess. The standout was Sam getting onto a Thready around the meter mark on 2lb main and 6lb leader on a 38mm TT Switchblade. The fight lasted 3 or 4 minutes before the leader wore though. For awhile we thought he was in for a chance of landing it. We were surprised the leader held up for so long.

Troy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work again Troy. Bagging up in tough conditions, although I have to say it doesn't look like you were struggling at all.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Who said the fishing is buggered around the big cities!!

Thanks for the report on what sounds like an awesome fishing session.

& far out, I'm pretty impressed with the bream, they make our North Queensland bream look like dwarfs

Great effort!!!

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

well done troy, good to see the rivers still fireing still time of year
    cheers ando

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Some nice size bream there fellas, pink ones too. well done.
    Danny.
    Rock N Reel King

Check out my photos Dan's Fishing Life

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys. Could have sworn that 50cm Squire was a little Thready but!

Troy