Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boyne Tannum Hookup!

Hi all,

My family and i went to the Boyne Tannum Hookup on the long weekend. It was our first time competing in the comp.
    The comp only allows 3000 nominations, senior and junior. The Hookup had 13 boats to give away, 1x Haines Hunter 600 Classic, 6x QuinTrex WB Dory 4.2 30 hp yamaha, 6x QuinTrex Dart 3.1 6hp yamaha. Boats and Prizes valued at $200,000! It was a great weekend, There was plenty of fish caught and plenty of people too. The weather was beautiful on Friday and Saturday, and then the winds came on Sunday.
    The Briefing was at 7am friday. At the Briefing they had draws and mum was lucky enough to be called out and she won a rod and reel, and a bag of goodies. After the Briefing we headed out to Lake Awoonga to fish for the day, cause dad was still working. He came over Friday night. We were fishing a bay, water temp about 22.5 degrees, not much was happening, I had a slick rig on, so I changed to a Rapala Xrap, suspending lure. After a couple of casts i was on, mum was in the tackle box looking for another lure, and Jade was arguing with mum cause he wanted to move, because he reakons there wasn't any fish here. There was a big scramble to land the fish. After landing and releasing the fish I asked mum if I was talking to her. Mum looked at me with a funny look,and said "no Katie you weren't talking" hahaha. We fished hard all day, for only 1 barra 74.5cm. We had a great day fishing.
    We Finished fishing about 3pm because we had to be back before the 4:30 weigh in closed. We stayed for the draws and entertainment that night.
    On Saturday we got on the water about 7am, because low tide was at 6am. It was very Shallow to get out. We headed out to some rocks and reef, about 8km out. it was very hard to see, due to very thick fog, it was a slow trip. When we got there we anchored up over a reef. Using bait, pillchards, mullet, squid. We set out our lines and waited, and waited, and waited, and the fish finally came. Jade caught a stripey. We had to get out our books to see what sort of fish it was. We ain't saltwater fishermen. Mum got a sweetlip. We hung around the rocks all day. We caught alot of small fish. We were feeding them, haha. Dad got a nice coral trout, and i caught 2 fish in 1, a cod took my bait and then a wobby gong shark ate him, it took me ages to land it, cause he kept burying in the rocks. We caught plenty of fish but we forgot to take the photos, to much excitment. We finished fishing about 3pm again, back in for the weigh in and draws.
    Sunday, on the water about 8am, had to pull down camp. It was fairly windy, we were planing to go back out to the rocks, but rough and wet. So we got in the estuarys and creeks around Gladstone and fished for the day. We were using bait again. I got sick of using bait, so I pulled out the spinnerbaits, and started casting them. We anchored up off a rocky point near the Harbour, Mum, Dad and Jade were using bait, they were catching bream, Grunter, Cod. Using the Spinnerbait I caught Flathead and cod. It was good fun. I was so excited cause I caught fish for the first time on spinnerbaits. I don't know what fish see in Spinnerbaits, but it must be something good. We had a good day. We finished fishing about 3:30pm, We headed back for the final weigh ins and draws. That night at the draws I was lucky enough to win a 85 litre tropical ice box esky. We had a really good weekend. Would recommend it to everybody. (Mundi AA member) won the biggest live barra section, 114cm.

Cheers Katie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome report Katie, thanks heaps for that!! it sounds like it was a great weekend alround.

Its not often that people get the oppurtunity to fish for dam barra & then reef fish out on the bluewater in the same weekend. What a life!!

I bet that trout tasted mighty fine on the dinner table also!!!

Thanks again & a BIG Congrats to Mundi for taking out the biggest barra prize. Awesome job!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a great long weekend. That comp is Huge!!!
    Good on you for winning that esky too, l'm sure it will come in handy to your family with all the travelling you guys do.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Talina,

Thanks, I forgot to to tell ya that we had coral trout and sweetlip for lunch on Monday, Yummy!!

Cheers Katie

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Two Utes,

I'm going to put an Electric on the front of the esky and use it for a boat, haha.

Cheers Katie

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh & Katie I've got that exact esky at home & they work real well!!

Nice job

T

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaha, yeah I will certainly be putting it to use. We will be back out there fishing again.

Cheers Katie

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehehehe...l like the idea of putting a motor on it. LOL!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Righteo Joe but please ensure you have your Life Jacket, Flares & Epirb aboard before you take it for its maiden voyage!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast