Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Salmon and Bream - East Coast....

Punters...

Ventured down the East Coast on the long weekend to catch up with a few of the boys, and of course a hidden agenda which ultimately consisted of fishing and a few quiet ales. On the list for the weekend was: Yapper, Byrneout, Moe, KennyB, Diesel, and myself.

We shacked up at Scammy on Friday night and tipped in..... Rather violently!! It was a heavy night and took us a little to get going Saturday, but once we filled our guts with eggs and bacon we headed off to Georges Bay - Snellens. The intention was to find some feeding Salmon, then slay 'em - but with little visuals happening, we headed to a flats area that dropped off into the current. I had 4 dudes in my boat, which made for interesting casting, especially considering there was a stiff breeze which forced us all to fish out of the same side Not long into a few casts, I felt a tap, Na dropped him..... dropped my SP back down, another tap, yep ON!! With blistering runs the initial thought was a Trevor, but as soon as the aerial antics kicked in, it was clear that a healthy Salmon had come to greet my lure.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

He was a PHAT salmon, and it was no wonder he pulled so hard given his health. Soon after Byrneout hooked a nice little Trevor, but we still hadn't locked into a feeding school. There was many boats littered up in the channel and scattered throughout the bay, but little movement. We consisted with flicking around blind when Kenny noticed a fish clear the water - that particular area looked also quite nervous, so Byrneout made the first cast and was chased down by 3 or 4 SOLID Salmon!! YEAH!! We all started pepperring the patch, and Nik was first to hook up - Zzzzzzzzzz!!!

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

After some hungry Salmon having a crack at mine I hooked another! Man, sight fishing for these things when they are hungry is unreal. Watching a 'pod' of them follow your lure is amazing and really gets the adrenalin pumping! Kenny stuck one the next cast and was stoked to say the least.

Last on the list to snare one was Diesel.... He continued pinging them for a few casts while we were all hooked up a hooting as Salmon were peeling line off all around the boat. BANG!! Yep he's on too - This made for a QUADROUPLE hook-up on decent sized Salmon, and we all were pumped! Moe and Yapper obviously came over to us a little closer to see what the fuss was about but the school had moved off.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

We persisted on that spot for a while, but some birds working across the bay soon grabbed our attention. We motored over, and by the time we got there 6 other boats had the same idea and 2 of the muppets trawled straight through the school - Hello Australia Obviously then sent them deep. We headed in another direction looking for more fish, and not far from us saw another school start busting up. We zoomed over and hung on the outside and pinged a few lures in. The inevidable happened and 'old mate' came straight over and trawled fair through the guts again! Why there is such a lack of ettiquette on these large expanses of water baffles me. A few loose words were sent his way, and we decided to pack it in and head to the shack for some lunch and a few brews.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

We quietly contimplated our efforts on the bay back at the shack, when the tempation to slip in to the Scammy River was too much. We quickly launched the boats and were flicking away in no time! Things were pretty quiet, and any Bream we were landing were quite small, with the majority even undersize.

Kenny got onto his first fish during this session and pulled it in saying "WTF is this" - The big fella had snared himself a Butterfly Gurnard or Flying Latchet, random indeed. A couple of small Trevally rounded things off at Scamander until it was getting bloody cold, and thoughts of sipping grog around the fire tackled our minds, and we buggered off.

The End.

Last edited by Beevor; 11-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good session Beevor, pity about the other boat. What sort of outfits were you using on the salmon?

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking Salmon Beevor. I see the blades have come into play, you like?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nath...

We were all running our Bream gear, 6-7ft rods 1500-2000 reels + fireline and fluoro leaders. In hindsight, I probably should have upped my 3lb leader though - They were giving me some curry

Pete....

I think I menioned in your 'Vibing Around' thread that I've caught a couple, and I've only caught a couple more since then! But they feel great I reckon, you can really feel their action in the water, and it's handy to be able to get deep with them and cover a lot of water. Especially this time of year when I'd normally go deeper with plastics.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Beevor - Nice work there mate, a very good session just a pitty about the tool in the other boat there alway's seem to be a tool around.

Keep up the good work.