Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun Bream sesh!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun Bream sesh!

Haven't not been for a proper fish in a while, and with still a few months untill my annual'ish trip up north, i was starting to get a little toey.
    The day turned out to be a stunner so i grabbed the gear and headed down to the bell tower for a bit of a flick.
    The water clarity was alot better then i expected, and i opted for a zip-bait rigge45-s and sent out a few casts and twitched them back to the bank. With alot of interested from the blowies and not much else, i decided to move on a bit further to some broken ground cosisting of a few rocks, and a few patches of weed.
    After a couple of blowies i decided to try a new retrieve. Instead of twitching it back, with the odd pause, i cast out and cranked it down a bit, then began to shake the rod tip from side to side moving the rod tip only about 15 to 20 cm and very slowly winding. WHACK!!! Huh??? Only a small fish, but for the first cast on a new retreive, it was looking promising.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I continued casting along the banks for about half an hour, but with not another sign of a fish other than blowies, i decide to call it quits.

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Driving home, i still felt unfulfilled, and i decided to stop off at East Perth for a bit more of a flick.
    First cast once again saw me using the small continous shakes of the rod tip, and being the first cast, i was not expecting the rod to be nearly ripped from my hands resulting in a missed fish. I was begining to like this retrieve, although things went quite after the initial strike. After about ten minutes with little action, i slowed the retrieve right down and added in a lot more pauses. Success. Within a couple of casts i had hooked and landed another small bream. Although not huge, it was definately a confidence booster.

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

About another hour or so of fishing saw around half a dozen other fish caught with the same style of retrieve. Although none were monsters, i was pretty happy, as i would normaly only average about one bream for every two or three trips, and its always rewarding to try something new (even if its only to modify your retrieve slightly) and for it to come through for you.
    All of the fish were caught on a zip-bait rigge45-s, with 6lb braid, (waiting for the big one ) and were realised for me to catch again tomorow.

Cheers Nath

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nath, I see your in my spot.....lol

I'm happy you are getting more bream than what your saying is your average on the new technique....as they say, when it is quiet mix things up a bit!

Good to see the Activeangler shirt on mate.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adidaspeteman View Post
    Hey Nath, I see your in my spot.....lol

Good to see the Activeangler shirt on mate.

Yep, definately went there cause of your success, even had a tt switchbade ready to go but only used th one lure. East Perth was definately the go for me today though.

And about the shirt, gotta to spread the good word.

Cheers Nath.

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen people fish that East Perth spot, but i have never given it a go...... might have to after seeing your success,,
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Gday Nath,

Nice session mate and again, nice pictures.

Nice shirt also

Cheers - Ben
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nath

It ended up being a top little session mate and it's alway's good to trick it up a bit with a different style of fishing.

Keep it up mate.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Headed back down today around one'ish, but there was a boating social day on, so the fishing was somewhat restricted. Used the same zip-bait for awhile, but after missing a couple of fish it went quiet. I switched to a TT switblade after hearing of their success and with first impressions i had my doubts as this little lure rocketed to the bottom very fast. The first few cast i let the lure sink, then flicked the rod tip up a couple of times to get it of the bottom, then wound in the slack. After getting stuck on the bottom a couple of times, i increased the retrieve a bit, and flicked the rod tip a tad harder and higher. I was now almost convinced that the lure would be moving to erraticaly to tempt a bream, but as i flicked the rod tip up again, i came up solid. The little guy had a bit of go in him, but i soon had him at my feet. A couple of quick snaps, and i sent him on his way. I continued on for another half hour or so, but with no other interest, i decided to call it quits.

Real men wear PINK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast