Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Barra Guide
    Post Thanks / Like

Default XOS Gladstone Breambo's

Hi guys,
    No charters this weekend, thought I'd take time out from Barra fishing and target some big Bream around my local.
    80mm Squidgy wrigglers in bloodworm was the money bait, landed 4 fish in a few hours casting, smallest was 44cm to the fork and best went 46cm to the fork.
    Unfortunatley the 46cm fork fish would not revive. Although I felt bad its an extremely rare day I take a fish these days, salt barra included, so this fish will be dinner tonight. It was weighed at Pats Tackleworld in Gladstone (for personal curiosity) and it went 2.35kg on digi sclaes. The fish are very well built and its fair to say the 44cm fish would have easily gone 2kg as well.
    On 4lb gear, this type of fishing is bloody awesome fun, its good to do something different from time to time.
    Enjoy the photo's.
    Jas
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.barramadness.com
    Ph: 0420 846345

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Barra... I mean Bream. Should be starting Bream charters Jas. Either that or start fishing the Bream circuit. Haha.

Troy

Barra Guide
    Post Thanks / Like

Troy,
    Im not a Bream fishermans backside mate, I did spend a fair bit of time as a kid on the South Coast of NSW chasing them, but crikey when I fish along side a Bream pro, its clear to see who the pro is.
    Bit of time out is always good, walking the bank along creeks is great fun esp on light gear.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Jas

www.barramadness.com

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Jas, what a ripper of a fish!! Well done man. That's a big old bluelip for sure. Unlucky that it wouldn't revive, but sometimes that happens with big fish close to the end. Plus you got a nice feed out of it too. 2.35 kg,......good Lord!! 5.17 lbs of stud breamski!
    Ultralight RULES!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Man!!! Nice Bream!!!
    Tell me....is everything BIG up that way???

Nice work for a day off.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

barramadness, that's not a bream, that's a badass stonka pony snapper! I want one!

Tell us a bit more about the area the bream were at, structure etc. I'm interested!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barra Guide
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, thanks for all your responses. Yeh it sure seems like everything up here is huge. If you saw the size of the saltwater barra up here.............well..........you probably wouldnt believe me.
    I am not joking when I say that there is a squillion bream up here that big, and wait for it, much bigger. I hooked a few the other day that straightened my jig heads. I also lost one bankside that would have been 50 to the fork. I will get him its only a matter of time as I have not been fishing here long.
    They are living in a creek that is known for its snakes, yep taipans too, its a creek about 8 metres wide that runs off a main part of the narrows inside Gladstone Harbour. It is full of prawns and is rarely fished because it is full of sandflies mozzies and other nasties. Its also a bloody long walk!
    The key to fishing it effectivly is LIGHT, but the creek is full of submerged timber and logs so getting smashed up is part of the deal. Go up in leader and braid, and you wont get the bites. The bigger fish in the pic has got rub marks on it where it tried to do me in the snag, I red lined the gear to stop it and just managed to get it out.
    There is Bream over 6 pound in this creek, and not one or two. I know that raises a few eyebrows and is a big call, but I will get one and share the pics with you.
    Cheers
    Jas

www.barramadness.com

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason,

I just think you have caused a huge 'bream storm' with that report and Virgin, Qantas and Jetstar have just received a influx of reservations! hehe.

That is impressive fish Jason and to here there are a lot more fish of equal size and bigger is incredible.

The fish you have displayed in the photo certainy looks like a wise old bugga...but ya fooled him or her.

Great report Jason and I bet your arms are thanking you for not having to hold up yet another metre long plus fish!!
    Cheers - Ben
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

MASSIVE Yella there Jas..... Would love to get hold of a specimen of that calibre

PHAT pig of a fish too, must be plenty of tucker around

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

There some ripper bream! If there is a few prawns in there why dont you try a few surface lures?? Or have you already?

Leethal
    It's not the size of the fish that counts, its how you caught it!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast