Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brisbane River Jew and Threadfin

The last week or two there has been stacks around the Lower Reaches of the Brisbane. Both Lures and Live Baits are producing plenty of Jew and Threadbo for us. A couple are coming home for a feed and the rest are going back. Average size is around the 80-90cm mark for both species but both bigguns and babies have been caught as well. A mate Morty got a beaut 115cm a few days back, solid fish.

Troy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch blue_mako, action like that would put a smile on my face too.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Onya troy! slaying them.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

they sure are some serious fish, well done.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work Troy. Very nice fish there. Seems to be a very consistent fishery you and a few others have worked out.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Troy,

As Shortlite mentioned you certainly have sussed out the brissy river's top predators. Just intrested in knowing the sort of terrain fishing.

Are you guys drifting along the channel dropoffs or sitting in deep holes that have bait in them or fisng near the many bridge pylons/channel markers to catch your fish. When you say the lower reachers are you referring to the mouth area/garden island area or back down towards breekie creek way?

When i lived there I was able to tap into the 12 month a year squires but only 1 hooked a jew in the river.

Cheers

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing hard up against the bank in the shallows. The sounder will usually be thick with fish down deep, if there's no fish deep, generally no fish shallow either. You could target the deep fish with live baits I guess, haven't really tried. But lures in 10-16m of water is a bit difficult with the currents that push through the area. Maybe if you had a 1 oz. Jighead.

Structure is ok. Nothing too solid but the odd bit of rubble here and there. I haven't been done by any as yet and with the light hooks I generally let them do what ever they please until they've had it.

Brekky Creekish area is where we have been getting them. Don't see an awfully lot of boats working the area, but the odd land based fisho. I had a crack the other night land based, but with the big tides lost 3 lures in 15mins and called it quits. Maybe on a small tide for bank fishing.

Troy

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

What lures are you using Troy ( I don't recognise them from the pics?)

Thanks in advance
    Matt C

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Troy,

I appreciate the info buddy. i never really fished that area, would get down th the gateway and thats about it from the mouth. Are the lures in the pics a Ecogear and the pink one a Evergreen buzzer beater?

Besides seeing fish in the deep and fishing the shallows are you seeing bait activity as well to concentrate your efforts?

Cheers

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Get them on most lipless crankbaits, providing they can get to the bottom . Figuring out the right retrieve is the key. Something with quite a bit of noise goes well also. TN's work well. Not much bait around visibly, hard to tell because you can't exactly run your sounder over 1 or 2m and see shows of bait. I'd say there isn't much bait actually.

Troy