Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freo bream bash

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default freo bream bash

Well thismorning i finished work at 6am (12 hour shift dammit) and thought the best thing to do was to go for a quick fish, rather than go to sleep of course. so high tide was predicted at 9am, and was about 7am by the time i got to the jetty in fremantle, good timing i thought. i'd been to the place about 3 or 4 times before and done very well on 2 occasions on the vibes. the bream seemed to hang out in the less than 2m deep part, and as it got deeper, i was getting herring and skippy - great fun on the 4lb setup with lots of structure to lose lures in.

the last time i went there was only a couple of days ago, and you could see mabey 5-10cm into the water, it was just brown, but today it was crystal clear! even right at the end of the jetty (at least 6m deep) i could clearly see the bottom.

with the dirty freshwater receding, unfourtunatly there was now an abundance of blowies... every drop of the ecogear vx35 and i would hook up to one, made for very dull fishing. so i decided to give up getting any bream and moved down to the end of the jetty for some skippy and herring. i didnt get any herring, but i did get 2 small skippy which was fun. as well as my 2nd goatfish on a vibe. but the main thing was that i kept on hooking these wrasse or something. ranging in size from 30 to 40cm, they were very fun to catch and ended up with about 5 or 6. check out the teeth!! they made mincemeat out of the hooks...

when it died down, imoved upriver towards the metro area in hopes of some bream, but by this stage i was feeling a tad tired and hungry, so called it quits not long after with no bream caught....

anyone know what the fish is, and if they are already known to chomp lures regularly?

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one mate great color's on it and a nice little session too.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not got one of them from the Swan before Ben, what's the fight like? Did you get a snap of the Skippy?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

well they didnt really fight that much, just shook their heads a heap. but they were simply heavy, much heavier than the equivilant sized bream. im just suprised they took the lures so readily.

got just 1 picture of the 1st skippy (the small one) before my phone died (wont take photos when the battery gets too low), got it on that new vibe i showed you the other day - though i ended up losing it to a pylon in the end... was pretty dead anyway with the amount of scratches and missing paint from those wrasse though

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Skippy always put a nice tussle hey Ben?!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

yea despite the size, they put up an amazing fight. was lucky the area i caught them in didnt have any boats in or as many pylons, cos they love to run

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

pretty sure that's a female (juvenile) crimson banded wrasse. quite a common lure taker. fun too.
    col.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Well let's see if I can get jiggy with one tomorrow Ben....

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

yea high tide is 10am in freo, and 12.15 in perth, so looks like there will be a little bit of a current, but shouldnt be as bad as last time lol.

and thanks col for the classification of the wrasse, was hoping they werent common lure takers though :P

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

lets see what the full moon brings us.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast