Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Whiting off the top

Whiting off the Top

Thought I would share some photos of Whiting we have been stalking in the river in a couple of hours session two of us have been averaging 20-40 Whiting, average size around 35cm with some thumpers thrown in.

We got these on an outgoing tide in the late afternoon, you have to wait for the wind to drop out, so the little 50mm poppers can work properly. The retrieve rate is standard popper retrieve 3 or 4 little twitchers, a couple second pause, one of two pops to call them in and a few more little twitchers to imitate wounded or fleeing bait. We are using spinning reels on 3 kg braid and a 8lb mono leader .

We are fishing in about three foot of water with solid gravel bottom. And as you can see from these photos the sunset is a photo finish to a great afternoon of fishing.
    Last edited by baited; 18-08-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PS forgot the photo attachments

Photos are attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Some great pics there Baited, just baught the exact same lure to give a shot on a few whiting, so those pics have given me a little more confidence, i was thinking the 50mm lures would be too long and the R2S bubblepop35 would be more suited, but it appears not.

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Great photo's there. thats one thing I really want to try out over here as i have heard that it does work here just as well.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic work there Baited!!!

great pics too. Have you found that clear poppers work the best? Have you used brigher volours when the water is more turbit and dirty?

Also want to have a go 1 day when the oportunity presents itself.

Cheers

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only used the clear ones. The Rebel Pop-R but have got some other clear ones with black backs, they go just as well, the water is clear and there is a lot of white bait hanging around our feet, I imagine this is what they are feeding on, hence them attacking the poppers.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

in a WA fishing mag they had an article about summer popper fishing for whiting, using mostly the green/black bubble pop 35. apparently here it works best as the wind picks up, otherwise the noise spooks them a bit much, but i'll give both a go and see what works best. i think here they would be eating more prawns etc, so the darker colours would be better, just a guess though. itching to get into the summer fishing, wading the banks...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be in that, I have got whiting on bibbed lures but poppers would be visualy stunning!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done baited, we have been using the river to sea's with success... I gather you are also above the train bridge in teh pioneer?? I have tried down on the flats oposite the river boat ramp with no real success on lures. Further up the river works well for popers...

And yes Adidaspeteman, they are awsome to catch on popers, at times they are like barra and tail walk and carry on trying to get ride of the lure. It is amazing what you can see when standing quietly in the river watching. Whiting clearing the water as tehy smash threw schools of small bait... Didn't believe people when they told me about such things.. as i have always believed whiting where a bottom bait feeder... When you see it for your self well...... you gota be kidin me pass me a rod and lets get into it i say....

Well done again Baited.

Shane
    I need less fishing gear and more fish....

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Job Baited....Sounds like you had a ripper session!

I absolutely love whiting fishing...My grandad introduced it to me when I was little & I've loved it ever since. When the weather is bad, you can bet that you'll find me down on the beach with the light spin stick in front of our place trying to get amongst them!!

Ohhh makes me want to go now!

T
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast