Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bartails

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Bartails

Da_houghsta’s reports of flathead on the flats got me itching for a skinny water flick.
    I got up at the ungodly hour of 5am this morning and crawled over to my bream gear. With the recent warmer weather and a forecast of 34 degrees for today I figured that the flatfish would be on the bite.

A short stroll down to the Canning river from my house and I was in the warm water flicking my new Zipbaits Khamsin SR in it’s sexy new colour.

It didn’t take long to hook up and within the first 10 minutes of spinning I landed a nice 35cm Bartail Flathead. The action wasn’t what you would call hot but the flatties were on the chew and enjoyed crunching down on the hard plastic. A couple more in the mid 30’s and I was having a good time.

As I waded east along the river I came across one of my favourite bream drop-offs and placed a sweet cast along it. One crank of the handle of the 2000 Luvias and I was snagged. I gave a gentle pull and the snag decided to move, snags don’t move… I must be on and boy was I on. The heavy weight took off and peeled about 5 meters of the 6lb Linesystem. This was a solid fish and I did not want to apply too much pressure. A few more hard runs and I was close to the bank. I took a while to find a good spot for the landing because of reeds and branches but after a top battle the mother of all Canning Bartails was mine. Yeeha! 63cm of phat lizard.

I ended the session with a couple small ones.

Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

I so have to get one of those lures lol - well done!!! that big one is huge. lol i only got a couple of tailor wading yesterday - i think i only saw a single flathead that i spooked at my spot...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

They look like great lures may have to give one a crack nice fish

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice little session there Pete. Just love the look of that Khamsin SR lure to.
    Hey what's the camera your using for that underwater shot? Nice!

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Session Pete!! that is a dam nice looking lure!! Love that waterline pic too

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Hey what's the camera your using for that underwater shot? Nice!
    The Camera is a Olympus U850SW 8.0 megapixel, It's not mine but I want to get the 10.0 megapixel version.

The lure is a beauty but I am moe of a fan of the DR version.

Da_houghsta, I want to get some tailor wading.... I know a good spot we should hit soon bro.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete - Nice session on the flatties mate and a 63cm to got to be happy with that.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn knew they'd be on the chew today. Incoming tide this arvo might have gotten them going as well. Good going on getting up early too- won't be as difficult once daylight savings kicks in.

I myself need to stock up on my flathead arsenal- lots of useful flies but need some more hardbodies. Will be getting Rapala Glass shads, some Khamsins & maybe a trusty old scorp 52 in gold. Oh & my budget fav some tassie devils or tillins cobras.

Ben tell you about the leadhead jigs I tied up last weekend?
    Remember to apply sunscreen

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jugglerman View Post
    Ben tell you about the leadhead jigs I tied up last weekend?
    He told me about some you have tied , but I havn't seen them yet.
    Take some photo's and post up here on AA?!

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

nice flatty the canning flats are great early morning before the bottom gets churned up by the boats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast