Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunday morning flick in my local!

Hey guys, Hit my local again Sunday morning with a mate chasing another Jack! Well the Jack's weren't playing the game but a little 40cm (guess) cod did he grabbed the bigger bomber with a lot of force!! These cod hit hard on their first run Kept at it with the big lures for awhile for no joy. was as low as I have seen it in a long time so a lot of our spots were high and dry Ended up heading to the highway bridge for awhile. Decided to try my switchblade I bought ages ago to chase bream with. Ended up hooking it on a abandoned crabpot, then hooked my mates lure retriever on it also and lost the end off it (converted 2 piece rod) Luckily we had a grappling hook on board and hooked up the pot and retrieved the retriever and lure, not after some barnacles cut my hand up nicly though We kept at the pylons for quite awhile without a touch so decided to move on and drift over a deep section of the river that starts from the bridge. Not long into this drift my little switchblade got nailed mid water by this cute little Big eye Trev!! quick pic and he was back chasing the baby gar that was everywhere!! Kept drifting over a wreck close to this deep section and flicked a few big lures around it for naught... After this the tide had come in somewhat so we put the big stuff away again and tried for flathead on a bank that looked good. first cast for me and I am on to a tiddler on the switchblade!! as soon as he came into the boat my leader broke A bit further along I caught another undersized flathead on the blade.. I was quite happy even though they were all undersized cause I hadn't had any success with this lure b4!! I really really wanted a Bream on the blade but hey there is always next time

No pics of the little dusky's only one of the cod in an interesting pose, and the cute Trev

Cheers
    Brandon...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you had fun mate well done

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Brandon, good little trip there mate. So do you like the switchblade? If you like it you will love the Ecogear VX35's.....
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep Pete I do like it mate they have a great action that you can work even at a very slow speed, I have seen the Ecogear VX35's but not b4 purchasing a switchblade. No idea on action differences between the 2 but the ecogear's are a couple of bucks cheaper than the blades around here
    Must give it a try next time I am chasing Bream at night, I reckon the noise they put out would attract a few hits!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Yep Pete I do like it mate they have a great action that you can work even at a very slow speed, I have seen the Ecogear VX35's but not b4 purchasing a switchblade. No idea on action differences between the 2 but the ecogear's are a couple of bucks cheaper than the blades around here
    Must give it a try next time I am chasing Bream at night, I reckon the noise they put out would attract a few hits!!
    The vx35's have a super tight action, in general the lighter and smaller the lure the tighter the vibration. But this also can be altered by the tow points.

The vibration works GREAT at night!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Something about gold lures that just work on nearly any fish. Good trip mate.
    Cheers Darren

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Brandon,

Nice Cod mate and good to see the Gold Bomber doing its reputable tricks on the Queensland species.

Nothing like the smash of a Estuary Cod, and I remember hooking a stonker of a Estuary Cod in Silver Plains that took a fizzer casted at the back of a magrove tree that had falled into the creek, along with part of the bank. Pulling it in, had a nice little crab sitting in its mouth..

Nice Trev also bud.

With trolling for Jacks, do you find that a slower troll is more productive?

Cheers - Ben
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ben I can't say too much with trolling for Jacks mate, I don't troll that often, usualy only between drift spots. I have only caught the one trolling so far, well the misses caught him in the noosa last Christmas. We were using the lecky maybe going 3-4knots max. It depends on the way the tide is going too. if I am going against it I go slower, and with it I go faster so I can try and keep up a good action with the lure. I have been trying to work the trolled lures a lot more of late too (bit of a flick/pause), makes sense to do it because thats what you do when casting hardbodies

Cheers Darren, I reckon nearly half of my hardbodies are black n gold in colour

Cheers
    Brandon...
    Last edited by Brandon; 21-10-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

nice catch mate better than the donut i got , atleast i got to watch you catch fish again lol

cheers nico