Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cattle Creek

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree guys, check it out before you tow the boat along!

Matt C

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

You are coming too Matt!!!!!

I hope we can organise before chrisi. We will unfortunaately be in the barra closure season but the jacks will be fun. I dont mine relaesing a few bice big chome barra either!!!

Looking forward to it!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah we should do it definetly before Xmas....Maybe we should all look at the tides & our availablity & make some suggestions regarding dates
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good i dont mind if barra season is closed they are still good fun

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey chris, You will have a fair bit of trouble getting much more than a 4.35m tinny driving down the track to insulator. It is really tight in a few places. The other option is to drive along the beach at low tide but unless you are with someone in another car it can be pretty daunting if you get bogged with the tide comin in. To get from insulator you will need a decent tide of about 2m or so to get out. We have seen half a dozen cars go under over the years on the track to insulator My mate has a 5m hornet trophy too and even in 20knots you won't have any trouble getting your boat around there from crystal creek. You will need atleast 1.5m of water to get in and out of crystal and you can get into cattle at any tide over .8m at the moment. It is a 8km trip round to cattle. If it is windy there can be some nasty rollers at the mouth of both crystal and cattle so if you plan to get in or out when it's windy try and do it on the incoming tide as the waves and tide moving in the same direction are a lot more comfortable than when the tide is outgoing. The waves can really stand up at the mouth. Once you get near the mouth of cattle there are heaps of sand bars. At the moment when the tide drops you will have to go past the mouth a little and then come back in from the other side. You will see the channel as the water is usually crystal clear. Once you are in you have the choice of three creeks Elanor on the left, cattle in the middle and little cattle on the right. You won't get in to little cattle on a tide less than 2m at the moment and it is very shallow but holds some great jacks. You can get in to main cattle at any tide and the mouth of elanor dries up at about 1m. All three creeks fish well. There is a trawler wreck inside the mouth and is out of water on tides under about 2.8m. The mouth is full of sandbars so take your time and there is a definate channel between cattle and elanor but you have to travel back out near the mouth to go from one to the other when the tide drops. There are 2 huge sand banks to camp on at the mouth. If you camp there overnight make sure you use two anchors when going to sleep as the sand bars are pretty steep when the tide drops and we have woken up on quite a few occasions and seen other peoples boats under water cause they didn't have a front and back anchor out. The system is the best one i have fished and have many great memories from the place. In the last six months or so people seem to be using it as a dump and leave their rubbish behind when they leave which shits me to tears but cant do much about it. Any way if you need any more info just let me know.
    good luck and happy fishing
    pete

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

chris you are better putting your boat in at crystal and motoring around there but you have to watch your tides only high tide will get you in there in your boat at crystal .i dont think you want to put a new floor in your boat a bit rockey in some places . cattle is a good creek to lure plenty of jacks and barra o yer better tell you about the some what on the large side with the snappy toms/// lots of people fish cattle mainly over nighters i have not fished cattle for about 15 years so only going by what i can remember...... say hello to julie for me/////////

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pete for all that use full info i am not to worried about getting a bit of a belting the hornet is good if you keep the speed right i have been out in near 35s in her before not fun but it goes ok. You are right i am not to keen to drive along the beach so crystel creek it is i think. with the sand bars i will just cruse in with the electric if the water is low I will send you a Pm when i get closer to going and get any more info if thats cool but thanks agen.

Shane you slack ass hurry up and finish your house and move up so if i get stuck in cattel i can blame you lol

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

chris the last person i heard of getting stuck on the beach was a good friend of mine he was in a new patrol wagon got bogged and tide came in and all you could see was the antaner on his patrol it was put in the paper to alsoit is not a place for faint harted if you miss judge the tide a little you are in deep you know what i mean anyway all you have to do is master the channel before you go ventureing out to far so dont catch all the fish before i get back ok

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Shane you are talking to me hear the chances of me catching any fish at all is slim the chances of me catching them all is not even there.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks for that Pete, I was beginning to think you had caught the "Secret Squirrel disease!!"

Well I know that we are very keen to get in there in the up & coming weeks so Chris, we'll let you know when we are going!!

& then as soon as Aaron & Matt come back from the ABT we should all organise a weekend that we all go. Fishing, Camping & Drinking would be a good way to celebrate a North Queensland Active Angler Xmas party
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast