Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 118cm Threadfin on Surface.

Landed a 118cm Thready on surface on Saturday night. It took a 4" Atomic Guzzler Prong in Clear Copper Flake rigged weightless on a 3/0 Gamakatsu Reaction Innovations Flipping Hook with a size 1 Gamakatsu Siwash Saltwater Fly hook as a trailing stinger.

Retrieve was skipping it across the surface like a small Greazie River Prawn. Flick, pause, flick pause, etc. I thought it was a pig falling from the sky but turned out to be a dirty big Threadfin. The Siwash Stinger just pinned him under the jaw. Mate also landed a 91cm model winding his 4" Prong across the surface almost at flat stick going for another cast. BOOF!

Troy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blue_mako; 29-10-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a horse of a fish, well done.
    What size line / outfit were you using?

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

20lb Tuff Line XP Braid with 40lb Black Magic Supple Trace leader this time. I like to use 60lb Tough Trace with Plastics and Lipless Crankbaits as they often swallow them. Went a bit finesse (Haha) this time with the 40lb. Have caught them on as low as 30lb Black Magic Fluorocarbon with lures and caught a few small ones on baits with 6lb leaders.

They have a poor survival rate after release so the quicker you can get them in the better. The meter plus jobies are at a definite risk of dying. The bigger ones taste better but, the smaller ones have mushy flesh. Both of these fish were released by the way.

Troy

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a monster fish well done

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

are they what you were targeting? or a bycatch?? wish we had that sort of thing here lol. would destroy my bream gear

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome catch Troy!! gezz you have them sorted don't you!! Brisbane River as usual?

Cheers
    Brandon...

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a nice fish mate , hey troy i think your going to have to come out in my boat 1 night and show me how to catch one , i have tried so much in the brissy river but i just can not seem to get one . if your keen let me know . are you fishing towards the mouth or in further near jindalee . i have only tried around the pipe line at the mouth with mask vibes , sp's and livies with no luck , im pretty sure i have had a couple on sx40's but the hooks pulled on me .

cheers nico

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Troy, I'm envious. Any red fish yet? Say g'day to Robbie 4 me.
    Cheers Dids

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

That would have to be the biggest Threadie that I have ever seen...Do they actually get any bigger then that??

Although I have seen Metre plus ones up here in Townsville, I haven't seen one that big & thick!!

Awesome effort Troy!!
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

your right it is a truly great fish and it would be good to know how big they can get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast