Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick Swan River flick

Well decided to get up extra early thismorning (made easier by daylight savings ), and was hoping for nice conditions, as aposed to the windy weather we seem to have been having. A bit of breeze about, but was pretty good. Was hoping to get a few photos of the sunrise as well seeing as the sky was pretty clear - just some cloud on the horizon.

Basically I was not expecting much at all, having thrown out a Baby Vibe a few times before the sun came up. I was right as well, just a few blowies. So was taking a photo of the sunrise basically each cast, thinking of trying to merge them together somehow to some cool effect. Then I was snagged. Another Ecogear down the drain... Wait, yes! Must have been a branch, and I seem to have pulled off a stick. Just wound in flat out - and had a very big suprise!! A flouder was on the end, roughly 30cm long. It didn't put up even the slightest bit of a fight... Either way I was stoked, as I think thats a decent size for a flounder, especially when I wasn't actually paying attention to what i was doing.

Tried to take a very ugly front head shot, but every time I pressed the button on my phone, the fish decided to move, so this was the best I got:

And just one more, I have caught one before, and I think it was even bigger, but I think its decent

Of course by this stage the sun had risen above the cloud... Then again I never went down to photograph the sky, so the fishing had priority :P

Anyways thats all of my report lol, I needed to head off shortly afterwards. Its nothing much, but it's my first good fish in a while. I think I need a week off work so I can just fish. hehehehe.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a very nice morning we dont have day light savings here just have to have a day off instead. Nice fish even if it is a little ugly.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Ben, you know its always going to be a great day when you wake up to a beautiful morning like that, it's even better when you have a fishing rod in your hand!!

My grandad use to rave about those flounders (we call the souls over here) & absolutly loved them lightly floured & shallow fried...Are they good eating over ther also?
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

yea they are supposed to be fantastic to eat, cooked whole. Mine went back however, next one may not be so lucky. i would think they would taste similar to flathead - and i love flathead (yet to have one this year though )

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep they taste fantastic!!! much better than flathead I reckon good catch on a beautiful morning!!! (I love the switch blade/ ecogear vx lures!!).

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    (I love the switch blade/ ecogear vx lures!!).
    Haha, addictive they are.....

Ben, nice flounder mate and a nice size too. I am yet to catch one. I have had many follow a lure but never take it so far.
    Their heads are ugly!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm yet to catch a flounder as well, definately wouldn't mind so I could tick that box.
    I've been hitting the Swan a fair bit lately with very little result - any tips as to where I should be trying?

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!