Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hinchinbrook Channel Trip 26th

Hi all finally have a chance to write a little story about my trip up the Hinchinbrook channel last Sunday. Being starved from fishing for many weeks due to a combination of work and bad weather I made a commitment that I was going no matter what. The weather was forecasted to be around 15knts which is not to bad in the channel just means a bumpy trip home latter in the day. Sunday morning 4am I am off just have to pick up the guys in town first and as almost every trip my dear old dad was still in bed so we lost half a hour. Finally on the road and off to Cardwell no problems launched the boat and was amassed at the number of boats heading in the thought went through my mind what do they know that I don’t. We headed down the channel it was the top of the tide so I was heading to the creeks on the island side of the channel. Started in the creeks throwing a repala X Rap XR-8 in holographic silver these are a great little lure.

After a couple of hours of cursing the creeks with not much luck and many many insects I decided now that the tide was starting to run to move to the mouths of these little creeks. I switched form my Rapala lure to a soft plactic Atomic Prong in 4 inch in old penny color rigged with a Gamakatsu Worm Extra Wide Gap in 3/0 size hook.

After trying this plan of attack for a bit with no more than a couple of bumps I decided to move and fish the last of the run out on a old haunt of mine on the Benjamin Flats. So I fished the gutters and picked up a nice little cod that went back in. Just as I was about to head for home one of the guys picked up a baby cod and I have added the photo as a bit of pay back for the grief I copped after catching one of a similar size in the Hinchinbrook catch and release tournament earlier in the year. The trip back to the ramp was ok if not a little lumpy and the run back in the car was not with out drama as if to tease me for no fish I broke a trailer brake spring which required a little road side work. But as normal I am keen for next time.

Attached Images Attached Images