Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hinchinbrook Channel Trip 26th

Hi all finally have a chance to write a little story about my trip up the Hinchinbrook channel last Sunday. Being starved from fishing for many weeks due to a combination of work and bad weather I made a commitment that I was going no matter what. The weather was forecasted to be around 15knts which is not to bad in the channel just means a bumpy trip home latter in the day. Sunday morning 4am I am off just have to pick up the guys in town first and as almost every trip my dear old dad was still in bed so we lost half a hour. Finally on the road and off to Cardwell no problems launched the boat and was amassed at the number of boats heading in the thought went through my mind what do they know that I don’t. We headed down the channel it was the top of the tide so I was heading to the creeks on the island side of the channel. Started in the creeks throwing a repala X Rap XR-8 in holographic silver these are a great little lure.

After a couple of hours of cursing the creeks with not much luck and many many insects I decided now that the tide was starting to run to move to the mouths of these little creeks. I switched form my Rapala lure to a soft plactic Atomic Prong in 4 inch in old penny color rigged with a Gamakatsu Worm Extra Wide Gap in 3/0 size hook.

After trying this plan of attack for a bit with no more than a couple of bumps I decided to move and fish the last of the run out on a old haunt of mine on the Benjamin Flats. So I fished the gutters and picked up a nice little cod that went back in. Just as I was about to head for home one of the guys picked up a baby cod and I have added the photo as a bit of pay back for the grief I copped after catching one of a similar size in the Hinchinbrook catch and release tournament earlier in the year. The trip back to the ramp was ok if not a little lumpy and the run back in the car was not with out drama as if to tease me for no fish I broke a trailer brake spring which required a little road side work. But as normal I am keen for next time.

Attached Images Attached Images

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one mate get there whan you can and make the most of it.

Those soft plastic's look the good's.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

They are good i rig it weight less but then tie a 00 ball sinker when i join it to my leader its good just flick it and it will slowly swim back down.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks for that Chris....& even though the fishing wasn't that red hot, the Hinchinbrook Channel is definetly one of the most beautiful spots to spend the day on the water!! Its also one of those places that just switches itself on & off & I have no doubt that next time you are up there, it will be absolutely firing!!!
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Talina i hope so i am thinking of another run this week end depending on the weather.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff c carny, better to be out enjoying great scenic places then be at home or work.

I too have been getting bugger all lately..... blame it on the rain, tides etc. that's what i do!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Chris,

Even thought the fish didnt play the place is amazing. We should pinch ourselves for being able to fish the channel(1.5hr away) when 1000's of anglers travel from all over aust to fish it. Thanks for adding some info on lures etc used. Well done.

If only I had a new epirb I was thinking of running out to the reef from lucinda on the weekend or mid wink with the dropping wind. Will have to chase some fingers instead from the cape.

Cheers
    Last edited by happygilmour; 03-11-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron i know what you mean hinchinbrook is such a great i am keen to get into missionary bay but the forcast has not been good enough or maybe i am just soft. You should have some fun over at the cape i must admit i have done very little fishing there will have to give it a go there is so many good places to fish and i have only been fishing for 18 months so just have to spend more time on it.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris,

Is missionary bay have the 9 sisters in it? If so I have been keen to get over there and have a go myself.

Still some good fishingto be had closer to home.

Cheers

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh Aaron thats the one can be a little tricky at low tide but like you say there is a lot to be had on our front door. I am keen to have a crack at the cape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast