Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bream Grand Final Mission!

Hey Active Anglers....

Just returned from my mission North to the Gold Coast, what a rush!
    Without repeating too much Grand Final info already told by fellow anglers, I'll keep it breif!!

Headed up with my girlfriend Ami and her parents came along also. We stayed at Broadbeach, about 40mins from the GF location but a lot closer to shopping and eateries! Sick view from the 26th floor, and very ideal spot to be based.

Views from 'our place'....

Jeez the sun comes up early there! Light from 4:30am onwards, which surely must suit the 9-5 workers that like to head for surf before work!

Here's a pic proir to the drive on day 1.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Fished with top bloke Drew McGrath and had a great time! Hit some interesting speeds in his borrowed Pro Strike . We headed into the canals and saw quite a few fish, but given the amount of sun - they were extremely flightly!! I managed 2 legals, which gave us 3 for the day. Together we caught a few more and dropped some also. Caught a couple of Pike, Snappy Toms and Trevors.

Heading into the conga line....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Fished day 2 with John Timbrell, and stuck pretty close to the weigh-in location. It was great to fish a couple of different regions over the comp. We stuck to fishing the flats and the mangroves for large percentage of the time. John pulled in the 3 legals, and I reckon I caught about 10 undersized Bream It was frustrating to bang them on the ruler, especially when I had about 4 fish measuring 22.5 - 22.8cm's!! Size definitely matters!! Managed a nice flattie of around 50cm, but still had some fun with the small Bream. They pull very hard! More often than not, you would back it in that you were fighting a legal sized fish! Ended up 36th overall, but simply stoked to get some fish and get to the GF!! Well done to all the other anglers that headed up - Was cool to meet some new faces too!

Drew and Plinio heading out on day2...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Would have liked to check out the shootout on day3, but opted to head out in the deep blue with Ami's uncle and some of his work-mates. Headed out through The Spit and putted over to a shipwreck to jig for some bait. All used those funny looking fly jig thingos, except for myself who chose a placcie Caught just as many slimy's and yakkas as the others, and it wasn't long before we had a full livewell.

The 'future' Father inlaw - Gary rigging up...

Looking back at the Goldy...

Potential fish tucker...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

We headed to a few locations and fished the bottom around some likely structure, but failed to pull anything up. We also had a few live baits out for anything willing to sniff it out. The first hits came from a small shark and a 'Grinner' - funny looking buggers!

Some activity down there...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Not long after I spotted a shark heading into the burley trail, and after about 10 minutes he went deep. Sure enough one of the reels started buzzing and it was the shark - a Hammerhead in fact, of around 5ft!! This was probably the funniest moments of the trip, as about halfway through the 30mintue battle, and after about 6 laps of the boat, old 'Hammertime' started circling close enough to the boat, and what followed was carnage. He was close enough to gaff, and one of the boys laid into him. He was lifted up onto the gunnells and then he went absolute NUTZ!! He thrashed about with fury and dislodged that gaff, threw shit everywhere, and found his way back to the water. "How NOT to land a Hammerhead" was the call The battle lasted a further 15 mintues before he bit through the line close to the boat. Gutted.

The only other capture after that was a nice sized Mac Tuna, which came to the boat pretty quickly...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't manage any fish pics from the comp, as with most! Too busy fishing!! Headed down to Byron Bay for a look and swim at the beach. Pretty spot and very busy! It's got nothing on some of Tassie's East Coast beaches though! Was going to head to Nimbin but didn't make it.... Watch out for the Mushroom Rissotto

Headed off for a Bream shore-bash with Gary one day, and managed a few. Hit up the area under the shadows of Pacific Fair Only a couple of legals came to hand but it was good to get amongst them.

Small Bream and my new Howler custom rod ...

Another little Bream with Pac Fair in the background...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Also headed to the Tamborine Mountains with Ami and took a little walk to a nice little waterfall, and managed to put a ring on her finger!! Woo hoo!!

Beevor goes Gold..... and Diamonds!!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the engagement Beevor! And well done on making the Grand Final too. Missed one, big one on the other dude. The mo's coming along nicely I see.

Nice rod too. Very blinged up. What model custom blank is that?
    Last edited by Shortlite; 10-11-2008 at 07:47 AM.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Well!! What an eventful trip. Congratualtions on making the finals, and a big congratulations on the engagement! Alot of fishing gear could have been bought instead of that rock mate. hehehehe. But l am sure that Ami prefers the rock.
    Good to see the moe comming along nicely too.

Once again. Good Work!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast