Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Cairns Inlet

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cairns Inlet

Hi guys,
    Thought I'd try abit of a report. Took the kids out on the inlet last Sunday being my first chance since coming home. It wasn't one of my better planned trips so we missed the bottom of the tide and my prefered time to chase bait. First cast of the net, zero prawns, zero mullet and one beautiful 45cm flattie thank you! That was almost the highlight of the day though. Took ages to track down some decent bait with only about a metre of tide they could still hide amongst the mangroves. We decided to float up the top of some of the smaller creeks with the incoming tide and chuck lures. The water was very clear and at 30deg already quite warm. Saw plenty of little Jacks around but I think we spooked any decent fish due to the clarity of the water (and maybe three boys under 12). Did manage 1 Jack on a bubble pop. Cheeky bugger nailed a miss cast in about 2 foot of water! The day turned a little for the worse then as one of the boys was crook and decided to add a bit of burley to the mix! Stuck it out for about an hour strip baiting for some Grunter but only managed one undersized fish. We called it a day but it was promising to check out some new ground in the top end of the inlet and see so many little jacks. With some better planing and a soon to be bought electric motor I'm sure we'll get amongst them!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though the fish didn't hit the deck I bet it was still great to be out on the water with the rugrats?!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Always is, must admit being away so much (Navy), there's nothing I like more than taking the boys fishing. I think that's why I settled on a tinnie. That way the weather doesn't play so much a factor in when we can go and living here in Cairns there's so many angry fish in the creeks and rivers we get our reef fishing fix on holidays with the brother-in-law down in Hervey Bay. He's got the gutters pretty wired.