Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Baron River

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baron River

Hey Guys and Gals,

Had a quick arvo trip today down the Baron River. I have a deal with the kids that they get the boat on their birthday and call all the shots. ie where to fish,what style etc. It was my youngest son Patrick's go and I didn't have to ask where we were going, he loves the 'Baron'. Low tide was around 5pm so we hit the water about 3 to chase up some livies. The prawns were a bit thin again but we managed to cast plenty of 2" sardines/ herring that make ideal bait.

We anchored near the mouth on the last bend of the river and dropped in a couple of livies. I had excess herring so decided to throw a couple of strip baits around to chase up some bream and grunter while we waited for the live baits to disappear. It wasn't long however when the little Abu's ratchet was howling and a very excited young fella was doing his best on the first fish of the day. As luck would have it the fish turned out to be my son's first salty barra and after unstiching it from the snags was carefully released. This was about the time we both remembered seeing the camera on the kitchen bench and that was where it stayed! BUGGER!

That was the only live bait to produce a fish but a staedy stream of bream and javelin fish kept us amused. All but 1 bream and 1 grunter were released and we hit the ramp just on dark.

It's funny how a quick 'spare of the moment' trip can provide you with a memory you'll probably never forget. My son's face whilst hooked to that barra is one such memory. Bloody awesome.

The next boy's birthday trip is up next, I wonder if he can top his little brother? We'll just have to see.

Dusty.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

That's great Dusty, I wish someone took me out fishing when it's my B-day. . The unforgetable memories when out fishing is why we love angling and keep going back for more. I bet that Barra made your son's birthday!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done to your son with the Barra - I think a lot of us would love to have had our first fish as a Barra, and from the Salt too! A mate of mine got onto a few the other night at the entrance to Thomatis. He seems to think that the afternoon Storms are working wonders as usual this time of year.

Best of luck on your next trip. May the next one go triple figures!

Theo

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Theo,

Thomatis is one of my favourite little creeks, great snags and usually a little quieter than the inlet or the Baron. Some bloody big crocs in there though!