Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: ABT Info

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ABT Info

This is a question for any one who fishes the ABT i am looking to fish the barra rounds next year and i would like to get a little info on what that is like. Also i would love to fish a Bream and maybe a Bass round but have no idea where to start i have never fished for bass and i have never cought a bream on a lure. I was hoping to do some fishing when i was on holidays in the 2 weeks leading up to christmas but i cant take the boat ( bugger ) i may do some land based stuff dose any one know any spots worth a try on the sunshine coast or brisbane i have never fished much south of townsville. Please help.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

yer im keen to learn the way of the ABT event too, me and me best mate are gonna start the barra comps and sooty champs next year...

have you got ABT membership yet mate?
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris,
    Re: ABT barra ,bass,bream comps, for all info on these contact Simon Goldsmith ABT his e-mail is as follows simon@fishingmonthly.com.au he is a very nice bloke and i'am sure he will be able to help you with all the information you need,

Cheers Stingray.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris...

The ABT events are awesome in my opinion. I have been fishing the Tasmanian Bream Classics for 3 years, the Tassie Trout Classics for 2 years and fished the ABT Bream Qualifiers this year for the first time - and qualified for the Grand Final on the Gold Coast. There is a bit of an investment from your pocket's point of view, but if you love fishing with lures, enjoy challenging yourself to succeed and meeting some great blokes, then get on board.

Although I started fishing a few copms with good mates, I've now met some really great blokes who I catch up with for a recreational fish, and people who are passionate about discovering new species and secret missions! I've also met genuinely helpful people within the fishing and tackle industry with knowledge that is unrivalled.

It really is an eye-opener to the professionalism that exists within our sport, and I would encourgae anyone to get in there and have a crack, but most of all, have fun and enjoy the experience.

Cheers,
    Beevor

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done 2 ABT rounds (Peter Faust Dam rounds). Lots of great people. Extremely well organised by the ABT folks and lots of great prizes. The people fishing the comp have all been a wealth of knowledge and are happy to share over a beer in the evening. Comp fishing is much more intense than social fishing with your mates. Lots more rules and guidelines to follow and it can be hard keeping focused after flinging lures all morning for no result. Great experience however and if you get the chance you should go for it.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys i have been a member of the abt for 2 years but have not fished any events as yet but i am realy keen to have a go.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

HI Chris,

I have fished abt events for a few years now. Fished in Bass Electric series,a few Bass Pros and 2 years on barra tour. I would stongly reccommend if you want to venture into the bass or bream scene to enter as a non boater to get the feel for the comp scene.

Fishing as a non boater will allow you to fish with 2 different anglers over the comp and you will learn heaps from those 2 days on the water. I first entered the comps not so for the prizes etc but for the knowledge you gain every time your on the water and meeting plenty of super keen anglers. You will soon learn the hottest techniques,lures, types of retrives and see them in action first hand which is priceless.

For the Barra side, it is a bit more relaxed as you can pick your partner(at this point anyway) and go out and have fun. You can take it as seriously as you want. I set the simple goal of catching a barra each session at all dams. Unfortunately I couldnt achieve it this year but will be my goal next year. Where you end up is not nearly as important as enjoying your time on the water, learning and catching up with mates you only see once a year!!!!

Cheers

Aaron

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris
    I did the abt this year and it was good, a long haul , but good.
    You learn a lot and see some pretty different ideas. I was very glad I did it.

The best advice I can offer if you do it next year is.

1. Get more sleep than I did. (Average of about 4 hrs per night doesnt cut it)

2. Drink less than I did. ( Combined iwth lack of sleep drinking to excess is not good for the fatigue factor)

3. Try and catch more barra than I did. (Still have to figure that one out myself)

If you do get to do it, I hope you have a great time.

Cheers
    Birko

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your in put guys