Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Built for Speed 3 and 4.

Got into the Giant Herring a couple of nights back. These things know how to make a reel squeel. You won't get a better fighting fish in an estuary then one of these things. The little ones go ok on the light stuff but I don't know how you'd stop a big one on 2-4kg. I use 20lb braid, 30lb leader with a pretty heavy drag setting and they still manage to pull plenty.

I was first up for the night. It was dark so I couldn't see a thing but I was still and ready when I felt the slack tighten up slightly on my live Mullet. Which is a bit unlike a normal Giant Herring hit. Usually they just annihilate it and run quicker then you can lift the rod. If you don't have a solid grip with two hands on the rod it can be hard for a good hook set.

I set the hooks and the fish knew straight away it was on. It jumped 7 or 8 times within the first minute, one after another with one perfect back flip. You could hear the line cutting across the surface as it screamed across the front of me then the Millionaire SW went nuts as it screamed off a good 30 or 40m of line. I was fishing fairly heavy for them with a tight drag setting so we had him bank side within about 5 or 6 minutes. He was noticeably fatter then the last few we had caught. A few pics and a measure at solid 95cm and off he went.

It was getting late and the surface action had slowed a bit. We were both ready to go. Scott was about 30m further up the bank from me when I heard a faint 'Yep' followed by a screaming Stradic 2500. Looking on google we walked 70m from where he hooked up to where I landed it. This fish ran about double that distance.

To begin with it just screamed, no jumps or signs of surface wake from the fish so it had me guessing that it was possibly a nice GT. After about 30 seconds of hard out screaming it finally came clear of the water for its 1st and only jump.

We then chased it down the bank but once we caught up to it, it decided the opposite river bank was its destination. By now the moon was over the trees right above us and the line angle showed us it was about 60m directly across the river right on the surface after its 2nd run. The angle was almost horizontal. We knew this was going to be a big one, even bigger then the big ones we had caught in the past.

After a good 15 or so minute fight on 14lb we had him at the net. The head went in easy enough only to have it snake back out when I lifted it. Time for a belly up. I could tell straight away this fish would crack the meter. It was a bit leaner then my fish, probably more so what they are supposed to look like. It went on the brag mat and hit a massive 104cm. It's the biggest one I've seen on the measure. We gave him a good swim and he powered off. A few pics to follow.

Troy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had a look through my old posts and realised I haven't posted up Built for Speed 1 and 2 on here. 1st pic is what got it started. Scott with a nice Giant Herring on a TSS4 that screamed more then any Mackerel.

The next 3 are of my first decent sized one. I have caught a few to 60cm but the fighting power seems to go through the roof once they get big.

Troy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice going Troy.....Your first Marlin, and also your PB Gaint Herring, all in a short space of time.

And the way you described your battle with the herring, sounded like they are the 'Estuary Marlin'. I like that you get them on live baits too.

Well done mate!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah mate Livies are the way to get the bigguns. I have caught most of my other ones on poppers but they are all small. Usually Tarpon by catch.

Fishing's all about versatility I think. I hate it when people say bait or trolling doesn't count. I have particular spots that I like to use a particular method for. Mainly because it's what has worked in the past and it usually works more then once. Doing what ever technique to get the fish is the right one.

A lot of it is personal preference as to what I use for them as well. I like chasing Threadies and Jewies on lures rather then baits, even though I've had mates catch more on baits while being in the same boat at the same time.

I like chasing the smaller G.H. on poppers and the bigguns on livies. I'd love to see a big one punish a popper though. They get into the bait fish pretty hard.

Troy

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god they would make some UNREEL Heavy Tackle marlin swim baits!!! I can see 300, 400, 500lb Black Marlins written all over those babies!!

Nice work fella's!
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmmm....l like the way you think Talina. Notice how reflective they are with the flash.......would make a great teaser to. Do you think?

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

mad fish mako. i no the trubble ya have holding the hooks in them, the go nuts jumping all over the place. awsome size one's ya getting too.
    im obsessed

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Top fish troy.
    I have only ever caught one on a livie.
    Was much smaller than those beasts but it went hard alright.

Pete

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Talina View Post
    Oh my god they would make some UNREEL Heavy Tackle marlin swim baits!!! I can see 300, 400, 500lb Black Marlins written all over those babies!!

Nice work fella's!
    Yeah me and my offshore mate have spoken about it. The little ones would be prime for an SEQ Black. Can't bring myself to do it on a fairly rare species though.

Pete you're on the Sunny Coast aren't you? Plenty of G.H. water up there.

Single hooks always hold better then a treble on these things.

Troy

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, some Awesome GH Troy...... we get small ones here in Perth's Swan river but they are rear!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast