Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: bull sharks

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bull sharks

this may be a stupid idea but what lures would be good 4 a bull shark?
    maybe decent sized poppers ive seen them jump before but i dont know
    if they are eating anything? has anyone else caught sharks on lures?

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Very Interesting!!
    I have caught Mako Sharks trolling skirted lures while marlin fishing out from Bateman's Bay. Also Oceanic whalers out from Cairns again with skirted lures, while marlin fishing

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Shallow water is your best bet for targeting sharks on lures, although out deep they do take lures jigged for other fish as well, and even trolled plugs.

On the flats, a cautious approach and a popper sometimes get their attention. It isn't a style of fishing much practiced in Australia, but somewhere where there are a lot of sharks it's certainly viable. I have had a crack at them in East Africa and the Caribbean, but not heaps of success. They need to be in an aggressive, fired up feeding mode, and you generally have to berley/chum them up to get them in that state.

Bulls aren't that consistent a target, as they do not spend as much time in shallows as the other whalers like the reef sharks and blacktips. I have had them investigate big paddle tail soft plastics cast to surface cruising fish. I have to say you're up against it there. Look for places where there are a lot of tarpon and trevally: on the night tides their activity often draws bulls.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Catching Bull Sharks on lures = accidental capture in my opinion.

I once caught an 80 kg Whaler on a deep diving minnow. Were we trying to catch shark?.......................definitely not!

If you are targeting shark, bait is the only sure way of encountering one, not with lures. We hooked 3 last night whilst livebaiting, bit us off!

I suppose it is possible to target them with big paddletail shads, imitating a wounded fish, but as shortlite said, they'd have to be in a feeding and aggressive state to achieve that I reckon.

Good luck in your venture mate, prove us all wrong and go out and catch one!

Jeff.