Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First trevally on sp.

So I headed down the pioneer river today just before high tide.
    The plan was to chase some bream on sp, as I'm still haven't been able to catch any yet no matter how hard I try.
    Anyhow I got down to the spot that I was going to fish, a place I hadn't fished before but I thought it would be a good area, first cast, something hit my plastic pretty hard next thing I know I'm snagged. Re rigged then after a few more casts, I was on, turned out to be a little estuary cod.
    Decided to keep moving along the rocks slowly until I got to the bridge, half way to the bridge was a nice little shady spot so I had a few more casts here, something smash my plastic and I was on again, I saw a silver flash and was thinking this is it my first bream on a lure, after a bit more of a fight I landed this fish which turned out to be a silver trevally, I was over the moon.

Fished this area for a bit longer but there were only littler fish that kept biting the plastics in half, so I moved down to the bridge where i caught another couple of estuary cods. Stayed here for a while flicking plastics at the bridge supports but no one seemed to be home.
    Decided to start making my way back to the car having a few cast along the way, when I picked up a nice little finger mark, another first for me on sp.

So I still haven't caught a bream on plastics but i was happy with what I got instead.
    Hope everyone has a good new years.

Cheers, Booker.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

hi Brooker,

Great stuff on the placies there buddy. Those berkley gulp grubs are good. To help get your first bream on sp, if you have some of the good old berkley dropshot power minnows in the 3" version, give them a swim .
    Colours like pumkinseed/ pearl watermellon or the ghost minnow scheme seem to work best for me. You will need to work your rod much more whan the grubs as you need to impart the action but the slimmer profile seems to get alot of bites.

Good luck

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate, will give them ago.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work on the firsts mate, where abouts did u go, the whole rivers fresh water atm.

me and the boys went down yesterday to our usual bream spot for our very first donut! seriously we have never had a sesion where we couldnt catch even a tiny flatty or sumthin, the whiting didnt even want to play on poppers! tell ya what it was a bit of a shock to the system. lol

wat setup are u using for bream mate...line, leader, rod, real ect...could be a problem with it to cause u to not catch any bream, i never used to be able to get bream on lures, as soon as i dropped my line and leader class i progressivly started to nail a few bream, these days we can regularly target and produce bream on both hard bodied and soft plastic lures.

keen for ur reply,
    Isaac
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing near the forgan smith bridge in town, under that walk way there.
    Line is 8pound fireline, 10 pound leader, reel is a shimano siena 2500 and the rod is a shimano sonic pro spin.
    I use this set up as it seems to be a pretty good all rounder (to me anyhow)

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

drop the leader down. You might lose a few cod and stuff but it will help immensely with the bream.

I fish 6pd fluorocarbon all the time but am going to get some 2pd soon for those impossible days

Also if you want to get right in the bream idea spend about 150$ on a 2-4kg graphite rod. Most around that price are good allrounders for alot of estuaries as we get mulloway and everything on them so they have the power.

This will help alot with casting lighter jigheads for bream (the lighter the better) it should improve your catches for most things

Hope this helps its pretty pricey but its the goods
    Last edited by DOOGZ; 01-01-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: forgot something
    on the long ass broke road to the fish

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Garr..i cant believe the river is fresh and you are chasing bream. Have you tried dumbleton.Had some of my best fishing ever there while on holidays,fishing soft plastics for tarpon,trevally and jacks. Not the easiest place to get to but the fishing was nuts. Good fish for firsts on placcies.White grubs worked well for us in the fresh water. Hope this helps..well done on the fish again.
    chewy
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks Doogz, I have been thinking about getting some 4 or 6pd leader.
    As for the rod i'll have to wait till I feel rich enough, and for the misses to give me the thumbs up .