Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First scales for 2009!!

Hi All,

After my Chris Family reunion in brisi over and finally home i was keen to wet a line and give the boat a run. My wife, Briohny wanted some muddies for dinner so after a call from Dipster a plan was formed. Crocidile Creek was our area to go and with neither of us having fished it . Croc is a local creek that can only be access from the water and located about 13km SE from Townsville. Croc is the red tag in the pic.

With the forecast not looking to good the creek option was our best bet.After launching we were greeted by flats seas to our amazment as we powered full noise to our destination.First job was to deploy the pots and once done we headed upstream to find some likely snags to target some red bream(Jacks). lures of choice was deep divers cast to snags and slowly worked out.Tide was not my fav with a incoming tide but after a few hours for no hits and great conditions out side we headed for the cape to target some bigger fish.

The cape was also pretty slow with small tides and no run so I suggests we go to spot X and chase some jacks or pink eye salmon(barra). It started slow but soon Dipster was on and a nice barra jumped for its freedom. After a nice silid battle and warning Dipster that once at the boat it will do another run, the barra must of listened and once at thre baot made one last ditch effort and won its freedom just short of the net. Bugger!!!

A little later its my turn and fortunately the little barra comes to the boat quiet easily for a quick pic and its return unharmed. My first fish for 2009!!!! WoHoo!!

5 min later and I am on again bit this time a beeter fish. Even with low rod angles the barra jumped hard hooked down its mouth. the green bomber held solid and the barra was landed. A quick pic and the 71cm barra was released unharmed and swam off powerfully.

With the day progresing and tide nearly low we had to go back and check our pots. 5 nice bucks and no females and its a great day. Unfortunately the jacks didnt appear but the pink eyes did. Here is a
    pic of dinner, singapore mudcrab!!! Yum

Thanks Dipster for a great day and the first fishy trip for 2009!!!
    Last edited by happygilmour; 04-01-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

nice barra's and a nice way to end the day with a feed of crabs

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Gees Aaron, that's very nice bi-catch hey mate???

You can't complain about barra as bi-catch when Jacks are your target.
    Bring on Lucinda in February.

Cheers, Jeff.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Good first fish for the year, also nice feed of crabs.
    What sort of set up were you using?

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work as always Aaron!!!
    Don't you just hate it when your wife makes you go fishing!
    Looking forward to catching up with you in god's country a few more times this year....promise.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brooker,

i use 2 baitcaster combos, both are Egrell B10 7" rods matched to Shimano Scorpion 1000(Japanese curado)baitcasters spooled with 30lb braid.

Joe, look forward to catching up again mate and you are welcome to stay at my place anytime.

Cheers

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

G'Day Aaron,

Great to see ya off to a good 2009!

Bit of a shame the Jack's didn't want to play, but good old spot X did it again eh?

Regards,

Bazza
    Ya never know whats on your Horizon!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bazza,

Spot X did produce again. Went out again today and found a few spot Y and Z's. Alot toughter today with conditions but still mamaged a few barra. report to come.

Cheers

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to end up snatchin the job and head up that way to live. But then again we all think the grass is greener on the other side eh? The weather would get to me up there, so might have to just keep the job and do a couple of recon trips a year!

Bazza
    Ya never know whats on your Horizon!

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a pretty good way to start the new year. May the rest of the year be just as good.
    Danny.
    Rock N Reel King

Check out my photos Dan's Fishing Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast