Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My 1st 40+ Black Bream :D

Yesterday it was a very nice, hot day, with only a little bit of wind. It has been hot for a while now, and I decided to get out and look for a flathead or two. My usual spots would have been over-run with blowies (Blow Fish for the easterners - seriously you guys would have no idea how bad the blowies are over here without experiencing it!!), so I thought I would try one of Pete's sposts further upstream. Since it's not my spot, I won't go into any details on where it is, only that I just wanted a wade in the water for 45min to an hour before work. It was about 3pm, about mid 30's, mid-tide, stirred up water from a bunch of boats nearby and less than 2 feet of water I think - so I wasn't expecting much.

Pete came along, but didn't feel like hooking a bunch of blowies, so left his gear home. I started out with a gold SX-48, which I was half-heartedly throwing around. I had a few small taps that didn't feel like a blowie, and soon I had a baby bream, only 15cm or so, hooked 2m from my feet!! Feeling a bit more confident about the place, I switched over to a smaller lure - a Blues Code stickbait. I'd lost my prawn looking one, so the one I was using was clear, with fluro yellow back, and a fluro red belly.

After 2 or 3 casts, I did a closer cast just on top of some weed parallell to shore. I don't think I even had time to twitch it once, when something grabbed it and started moving towards shore. I took it for a Flathead since I didn't feel any head shakes - it was just a strong pressure pulling. Then it changed direction and started to pull much more line off quite quickly - I took it for a "bloody big flattie!!" After a while trying to get it to change direction and come to me (it just didn't want to budge), both Pete and I saw a silver shape and a tail come out of the water. For an instant I thought it was mabey a Mulloway, before it dawned on me that it was a bream! Still throughout the fight, it didn't really fight hard, prefering instead to just go sideways and pull, but I soon had it on the shore. After measuring, I realised I had just got a 42.5cm Black Bream - A PB for me by quite a bit!

My previous PB in November was 34cm. Then we went to Walpole, which I was upgraded to 37cm - which seemed like a big just to me then. Now to get something the size of this one was, to me, amazing!! especially upriver, wrong time of day, wrong location, etc etc etc.

Of course, since it was a short session, and I wasn't expecting anything, I didn't bring my camera. So Pete took some pics using my mobile instead. Next time I'll know better!!!

Beautiful colours on it:

After a few photo's, It was time to put her back. She needed about 5 minutes of me swimming her however (it was hot, and we took longer taking photo's than I thought), before she, very gracefully, just swam out of my hand.

A couple more casts revealed a baby Flathead, and a few blowies, which ended my session as I had to go to work....

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

What a beauty, well done on a new pb. I always carry my rod in the car and some lures in case I get the chance to have a quick flick, but i've never been lucky enough to catch something like that.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on you PB Bream...l think that one is going to be a bit harder to beat.
    Pete told me how bad the blowies are over there...When l first read it on here l thought you guys were talking about the flies...hehehehe

Once again Well done...and nice report too!

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

nice fish mate, its been bloody warm recently so your pretty keen fishing even at 3 in the arvo!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Ben is one chuffed fella after getting that PB, good on yah mate! I do think you have forgotten though that the Black dictated the battle for a bit pulling quite a bit of line and making you follow in tow.....hehe She was a beauty mate, Now that you have a 40+er you know they are different class of battle then a bream in the 30's, or has the adrenalin clouded yah a bit.......
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaha, nah i didnt forget about that - i had no chance at the start of the fight to get it to do what i wanted. but wasn't frantic like a lot of the othe bream ive got - was just a very heavy, steady pull, with a couple of fast runs.

Thanks for taking the pics as well mate!!! i'll be giving the spot another go tomorrow for sure!!
    Ben Hough
    Hobie Quest
    PB Snapper - 80cm, Bream - 42.5cm, Queenfish - 102cm, Longtail Tuna - 91cm (9.1kg)

Proudly working for Compleat Angler and Camping World in Nedlands and sponsored by Compleat Angler and Tairyo rods!

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Breambo that one.

The 50cm is the mark that is near impossible to crack.

Pete

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Great fish Ben!! gota be happy catching a beast like that from the surface

Cheers
    Brandon...

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Ben. Congrats on the new PB!!
    Ultralight RULES!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post

The 50cm is the mark that is near impossible to crack.

Pete
    The SA lads hit the 50cm mark more then anyone, that's my goal!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast