Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Pair of 50cm GC Jacks!

Yesterday arvo I met up with Didley around 4:30pm to start the trek down the coast for a Jack session. The weather was good and the tide wasn't too bad for what we wanted to do. After having a look around the place we decide to throw a few lures along a likely looking bank, I had one hit on a rapala Husky jerk in Black n gold witch didn't hookup, I did see a flash of Bronze though witch made me think Jack Kept at it until sundown for no more inquiries. We then decided it was time to get some livies. Thanks to me bringing my 12 foot drop net we only had to cast a couple of times before we had a good selection of Poddy mullet, Silverbiddies and Hearing, we were then off to a good looking spot to soak the livies.

About 10mins into the session Didley hooks up on a hearing and brings in a Bream that we guessed to be around 26cms, don't know how he managed to pin him with a big 4/0 hook We didn't have much action for awhile until I decided to use a second rod with a hearing and managed another Bream maybe 28-30cms. A bit latter on Didley gets a good hit on a live mullet witch took off and managed to smash his 40lb? Leader around a rock The call of Jack was made and a few choice words were said!! Quite a while latter we were talking about moving back to the spot we were lure fishing earlier on, but... Didley's Big mullet gets a hit and his on again!! After a short but intense fight over the rocky bottom I manage to net the first Jack of the night! A nice healthy dark Red 51cm MJ! A couple of quick snaps and he was released to terrorize the local mullet population. After this we thought we should hang about for awhile, they might be just coming on!! Well no... Lol another hour or so goes by with not a touch. So the decision was made to move. We got to this new spot and threw out the baits, We could hear fish occasionally chomping hard against the bank witch was promising!! After throwing the same mullet that had been soaking on the end of my overhead combo since the start of the session off the hook and into the trees on the bank I decided to leave that rod alone and hold onto my big spin combo with a smallish mullet. About 20mins after landing a nice case about a foot from the bank I felt something grab my livie! After a quick fight Didley nets my first legal Jack caught on bait A reasonably slender 52cm Jack! A few pics and we sent him back home. Maybe 10-15 mins latter a livie Didley had out in the middle of nowhere gets a run then stops, another 5 mins latter it runs and stops again!! Didley decides to hang onto it now calling it for a small fish. Another couple of minutes latter he sets the hooks and lands a catfish, not long before all this I had asked him if there were many Vermin in this system LOL.

Pics below

Cheers
    Brandon...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

A good night had by all Brandon, a few more reds would have been nice, but what can U do. Your fish might have been bigger but mine is sexier.

Cheers Mate

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

haha you got me there mate Yours sure was a beautiful colour Mine had some kind of disease Barrajunktus or skinnyitus I reckon lol
    Next time we will nail more I reckon!

Cheers
    Brandon...

PS: we both need more practice on holding them for pics too!!

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Jese Didleys fish is a great colour hey..?

Good report Brandon....

Pete

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Pete, one of the nicest you'll see. No bullys though

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read guys and photos.. Do you ever catch tagged jack in your area ?
    regards ......... shorty

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    Great read guys and photos.. Do you ever catch tagged jack in your area ?
    regards ......... shorty
    No, Shorty, I've pulled a lot of Mj out of that spot and I've never seen one, I'm a little surprised myself. I wouldn't mind getting into tagging myself to see if I can get any recaptures in consecutive years.Even better have a tracking device where U could see it's movements on a daily basis, very interesting.

Dids

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Didley, we have caught alot of tagged jack in the gladstone area, its amazing the info you recieve back from suntag.. my husband caught biggest jack at the boyne tannum hook up in 07 and it had been tagged 2 years earlier at the b/t hookup and we caught it in the same spot..... amazing.... .. regards shorty

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Fish boys, well done.

Great report Brandon.

Cheers,
    John.