Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigging session monday

Well on monday me n Pete decided to go on a bream jigging session early in the morning. However due to a certain someone sleeping in (sorry Pete lol), we didn't leave until almost 7am. We tried a nearby jetty first up, but since it was low tide, there simply wasn't enough water under the jetty - plenty of mullet around though.

The next stop was a larger jetty which had deeper water, so armed with out blades we starting to jig. A few minutes into it and I had a tap followed a few seconds later by a decent weight. I soon had it to the surface (suprisingly) and called Pete over for a hand as it looked big. I soon realised that my 4lb braid and leader may not be strong enough to lift it 2m, which meant that I had to get it to shore somehow. That wasn't much of a problem as for some reason the fish was not fighting very much - mostly flopping on the surface and giving the occasional short run if its head went underwater, but there were light posts along the jetty that I had to get my rod around which wasnt as easy hahahaha:

[/url]

Once I got it to shore I measured it and came up with 41cm!! My 2nd 40+ bream in only 2 weeks or so! I was pretty stoked and after a few quick snaps, it was released where it swam off quite strong.

I got a little rat a few minutes after and pete wasn't paying attention when his blade was hit hard enough for him to almost drop his rod!! But soon it was just blowies, so we went to yet another location a bit downstream.

Compared to other times that I've been there, it was dead quiet at this new spot. I was just on low tide and there was almost no current which let the blowies out to play - where normally they are restricted to the extreme edges normally as it flows very quickly. A couple of hits which may, or may not, have been just blowies and we were almost ready to give up. I cast out the blade and let it sink to the bottom as normal, then went to wind the slack. I had to wind a lot more than I thought when I felt something pull, then it went slack again. Quickly winding in, I realised I had hooked something on the drop and it was swimming fast towards me - that's the pull I felt when I caught up to it. Soon I almost had all my line in, but still just slack line when my rod suddenly bent in half under the jetty as the fish swam underneath me. When I got it in, I had just caught my 1st legal Metro Tailor I didn't measure it up, but was over 35cm I think - I'm not the best judge of sizing up fish though lol!!

I soon lost the blade to some fishing line in the depths... sigh... and after no more fish we headed to our last destination in freo. I dropped my new blade into the depths and jagged a blowie on the 2nd jig. As I was winding it up I saw an amazing sight - I recon a hundred blowies or more were following the lure and blowie up!! Since the water was clear, I could see them from quite deep and it was very strange seeing these pinpricks just loom up out of the shadows in such numbers. That pretty much told the story of out last stop - blowie after blowie... Pete managed to get a baby Tarwine - which I'm not sure if it was mating with the blade - or trying to eat it! I hooked a baby Pinky as well, but lost it at my feet...

So that was our day and we finished about lunchtime, so a good day I think. Bring on my 3rd 40+ bream!!!
    Ben Hough
    Hobie Quest
    PB Snapper - 80cm, Bream - 42.5cm, Queenfish - 102cm, Longtail Tuna - 91cm (9.1kg)

Proudly working for Compleat Angler and Camping World in Nedlands and sponsored by Compleat Angler and Tairyo rods!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I bloody didn't get bugger all because I was using/trialing Berkley Bigeye Blades. They got nothing for me other then Blowfish! I know I would have got at least a few bream if using a vx35 but I realy wanted to give the berkley blade a go. They look good but maybe a little to big for my liking for Perth waters.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work fella's, what a great way to start a morning!!! & geez Ben, thats a ripper bream!!

I can imagine you have a pretty good time trying to keep the fish off the bottom of the pylons on light line, do you normally lose much gear!!

Pete, that is an absolute monster in the last photo ...Someone was punishing you for being late I think !!
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

A nice little seshion you had there mate, congrats!
    PB Sooty - 52cm on a Reidy's Little Lucifer
    PB Barra - 115cm on a Stiffy Boney Bream

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice going fellas,some nice fish there.How big do the bream get over there.After getting that one on a bomber the other day i might chase them a bit more,it went ok on the new s1 egrell and little penn.Not sure how the 6lb will go on the black bream though.We normally get a lot as bycatch on prawnstars while fishing for barra,but normally right in the timber.Do you guys use the lighter leader for more bites or more lure action?
    chewy
    Fishing with fly..its the quest..not the conquest..

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Nice going fellas,some nice fish there.How big do the bream get over there.After getting that one on a bomber the other day i might chase them a bit more,it went ok on the new s1 egrell and little penn.Not sure how the 6lb will go on the black bream though.We normally get a lot as bycatch on prawnstars while fishing for barra,but normally right in the timber.Do you guys use the lighter leader for more bites or more lure action?
    chewy

I've seen them above 50cm here in Perth, and I'm sure down south there may have been some eve bigger. but 40 I think is a big one most of the time in metro waters. I usually use 4lb nitlon braid with 4lb nitlon fluro leader, but if there is a chance of flathead i will often go for 6lb braid and leader. I have to say that around pylons etc, I do lose quite a few lures (seemingly more so than you, hey Pete??), but thats a part of the sport.

Thanks all!!
    Ben Hough
    Hobie Quest
    PB Snapper - 80cm, Bream - 42.5cm, Queenfish - 102cm, Longtail Tuna - 91cm (9.1kg)

Proudly working for Compleat Angler and Camping World in Nedlands and sponsored by Compleat Angler and Tairyo rods!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Talina View Post

Pete, that is an absolute monster in the last photo ...Someone was punishing you for being late I think !!
    I am always early, Ben is the one that sleeps through his alarm....lol

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    chewy
    A 40 is a great bream for Perth, down south they get bigger to around the 50 mark.
    I use 6lb or 8lb and Ben like his 4lb, The lighter the leader the more advantage in casting distance, lure action and invisibility. But it also depends on the reel and rod you use that line on. Also depends on the brand of fluro, the diameter varies so a 4lb and a 6lb may have the same diameter from different brands.
    Heavier leader is better for dirtier water, structure and for lifting fish....