Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A river somewhere

Well it had been awhile since I'd thrown a lure at a bream, and it was starting to get to me. Whith the Blackwood River so close, it seemed silly not to have been for a fish there, but when I recieved a report that another nearby system had been producing plenty of fish, the deal was sealed. From what I'd been told, there where hordes of bream around, but few big ones, with a fish in the thirties considered big, but also came the mention of a 40+ specimen being previously caught there.

The day came when the surf was no good and nothing was on, so i grabbed the gear and made the treak into the valley where the river snaked its way through the paperbarks. Trees and snags lined the river for almost all of the rivers shores, but the small clearings that allowed access revealed some very clean and inviting water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I tied on an sx40 and sent out an explorative cast and twitched it back, second cast i did the same, but this time I felt a small tap followed by the fish deciding that he wanted that lure. I brought the fish in and although it was only small, I was amazed to see about a dozen other bream swimming with it all the way to my feet. A quick photo, and he was back simming with his mates, and i had a good feeling about the day.

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent out a few more casts, but it seemed that the fish were a little bit spooked now. I decided to move down the shore a bit, but as it was complete covevered with paperbarks, things would have to get interesting. I climed onto one of the trees with the aim to climb out and cast along the edges of the snags, but as i looked down, now above the water, but still completely covered by the trees, saw saw dozens of bream darting in and around the snags in the shadow of the canopy. Having very little room to cast, I more or less dropped droppped my lure down and twitched it. The response from the fish was amazing, several dozen bream swarmed all over my lure swiping at it eager to be the first to devour it. Almost straight away, i had a fish firmly conected and it was a matter of lifting it straight up into the trees. The fish were now a little bit edgy and were hessitant to take my lure, so I made my way to a new tree where i was immedaitely met with another fish eagerly taking the sx40.
    Although the fish were only small, the adventure and visual aspect of the task made for great fun.

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

After going a few minutes without catching a fish, I swapped to the gulp sandworms and was met with immediate success. I cast into the snags and often hooked up before the worm was anywhere near reaching the bottom. Overall the fish were small, but it was still great fun, and i know there's a bigger one in there with my name written all over it.

Cheers Nath

Real men wear PINK!