Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: jack help

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jack help

hi there im new 2 the gold coast wanting 2 catch a few jacks but struggling any tips on lure,bait types and locations would b greatly appreciated thanks AA members

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

G'day Craig, there have been a few requests for Jack info by pm too, give me a little time and I'll try and put something useful together. We jack fisho's don't like giving away to much, but your in a good place to get a few at the Goldy. Start fishing structure in the canals and you'll get smashed from time to time, your weakest link will fail, improve it and over time you'll start wining the battle.

Cheers Dids

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jumpin Jack,I always do my homework around low tide in estuaries to find structure eg; oyster incrusted rocks , over hanging mangrove trees ect , once you have seen these structures , fish them at high tide ,if using live bait with 30lb braid 60lb leader with a size 3 sinker and swivel, or casting lures eg; flatz rat,small xraps etc same set up less sinker and swivel, hope this can help , also drop into your local tackle store they might even tell you where to start.............. regards ....shorty

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey jj.

Mate I have only done a little bit of Jack fishing in the Estuaries with mates down in Cairns, so I can only offer a little bit of info. We have targetted them in these warmer months of the year in a place called Trinity Inlet and its a famous Jack spot. We try and find really dirty, smelly backwaters where there is a little bit of run off coming down from sloping banks etc. They love structure, especially fallen stuff e.g. big Trees, fallen Rock banks. Definetely go looking on a low tide to see possible looking area's and fish them like shorty said on a high tide (we have always preffered the first 2hrs of a run in tide). Most of your smaller Barra Lures will work mate, but to increase your chances its more or less getting it right up hard against the structure then anything - thats how much they love their snags. On some days in the Inlet we were chucking anything at them and it would work, but you'd have to get it up hard against the structure for it to work so your casting has to be off a premium. Soft plastics are a good choice too as its heavy kind of stuff fishing for Jack's and if you get bitten off or snaged up badly then you've only lost a cheap plastic. Make sure you fish with at least 30lb leader, and a good 2 to 3 metres of it too. We were getting away with 6lb spinning outfits which may seem light but we had long heavy leaders which is all you need.

Hope this helps.

Theo
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld